Attaching a Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To put a transmitter on a hose, it needs a spool. I would think that if you connect a transmitter to one side of a QD you would need a spool. If you connect the QD to a hose, do you need a spool? I thought so, but what do I know?

Cheers -

Edit: Clarified my comment
I wasn't very clear, but Jack was. Only one side of the QD would swivel. The other side would be like screwing it in to the first stage.

Should probably add one more general note, even though this thread started as a Perdix specific question.

Suunto has gone to a very specific "flow restricting" spool for their transmitters that should be used if moving the unit from the 1st stage to a hose.

If you sent your transmitter in for the recall a year or two ago, you were supplied with the flow restrictor that fits inside the transmitter inlet for direct connection to the 1st stage. If now moving to a hose, that needs to be removed and instead use the spool that was also supplied with the recall action. And if you are using a Suunto transmitter that hasn't been sent back yet, well then you now have a homework assignment...

But you did just that. :wink:
No I did not. I personally don't agree with it but I never told him how to set his rig up. The OP is free to as they please.

Nobody dictated anything, merely pointed out maybe it wasn't a great idea unless there was a good reason. Nobody said he wasn't free to do as he wishes. It's an unusual request and a reasonable (and potentially helpful) response.

This is based on my Luna/Sol transmitter, but I believe the Shearwater transmitter is nearly the same design....

I set up my TX on a QD to a 6" hose to keep the dive attendants from accidentally grabbing my Tx. The spool slides into the transmitter inlet and into that side of the QD fitting. I later removed my QD as I decided it was not necessary, but still have the spool in the Tx to Hose.

For what it's worth, I removed the QD because it does not seal with the QD separated (for storage). I felt it is better to keep the inside of the hose sealed, therefore clean...

Not sure about Shearwater transmitters but Suunto only recommends screwing the transmitter hand-tight to either a hp hose or 1sts stage....this facilitates removing the transmitter for travel to/from the dive site. This negates the need for a QD fitting for the transmitter.

A side note: if you are in the habit of removing your transmitter from your regulator set then it is a good idea to keep a spare HP port plug and corresponding size allen key in your save-a-dive kit for the eventuality that you forget to pack the transmitter and don't realize it until you arrive at the dive site.

-Z

Does anyone else have that setting and can you confirm where you are putting spool(s)

I use QD and short hoses on all my set ups (SM and BM's, so I can easily swap tx's around etc etc. You will not die and they don't become a problem.

The only O ring failures I've seen is the one on the TX or HP hose (it doesn't matter whether the tx is connected to the 1st stage or to a QD) infrequently this O ring pops on pressurisation (as do normal HP hoses), this is more to do with the fact that the gear in the summer is exposed to shade temps of 100-120F

If you think of the QD being 2 parts - hose side and tx side, I use a spool on the tx side.

Even though the tx has an O ring - the spool gives a second layer of protection (IMO)

The hose side of my QD does not need nor cannot use a spool

I use the scuba pro version as it's quite compact and can be uncoupled under pressure as well as being self sealing (if you don't' want the tx installed - say in a pool)

upload_2019-5-11_14-3-12.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom