Lightest BP/W + Regulator setup (warm water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steel has slightly better buoyancy characteristics, and maybe no corrosion around the boltholes -- I get some grey around the edges when using steel bolts w/ Al plate. Especially if you add a brass grommet in there somewhere.

That's all I can think of, and that's clutching at straws.

Opinions on the flex hoses will vary. They are ligter and flexible. I see no real disadvantage to them in a rec setup.

My preference is to use an spg and always have an analog depth gauge. However, an AI computer may meet your needs quite well. The AI transmitter eliminates a hose, is small and is light weight. The computer then provides depth and pressure as well as NDL data.

I found the Miflex hose too floaty for the long hose. It was constantly coming un-tucked and floating above me. I now use a rubber on the long hose and Miflex on the rest for my travel rig.

I'm late to this thread and it is probably too late to help the OP but for those that come along later I'd like to share our experience with the Mikron regs. My wife loves the size and weight in her mouth compared to her Deep6. 18 months ago we retired the the Mikron first stage and secondary and replaced them with Deep6 Signature at a weight penalty but better performance and self serviceable. She kept the Mikron for her primary reg. There have been a few times when working hard in a current or working moderately at 30-40M where the harder work of breathing annoys her and she switches to the Deep6 until her exertion level eases up to normal. I know she is working when I look over and she has switched regs.

As we progress we will retire the Mikron as we don't think it is suited for deeper diving or for side mount diving where it would be the primary for only half the dive anyway. If you don't work hard or dive deep it may never be an issue for you but in a stressful event at the deepest part of your dive is no place to have a reg that breathes kinda hard. There are compromises to everything and that is the tradeoff with small light regs that aren't super expensive. One other thing is the exhaust ports are shorter so you get the bubbles a little more up around your face.

This isn't what you asked about but just for your amusement the lightest rig for travel is probably a harness and dromedary type bladder and a single tank side mounted. (search for monkey diving to go even lighter) They actually work great.

If looking for a light weight rig I would nix the Oxycheq. Oxycheq makes a good product and I own 2 of their wings. The problem is that it does not pack small because the shell is coated with something. If looking for a tropical travel wing I would go with the Mares, DSS (used LCD), or something that packs flat. I would contact DGX about their wings and ask them. The advantage of their wings is they have long slots and can accept any plate. VDH may be another good wing choice.

Speaking of plates Mares makes a soft plate and I believe the Oxy soft plate will match up with a DSS. As mentioned the DGX wings work with almost anything. If you want a hard plate Piranha sells an inexpensive plastic plate and there is a seller from China selling an aluminum dog bone plate that should be pretty light.

For hardware you can use OMS aluminum d-rings or the less expensive plastic ones from VDH.

For regulators I would go with the Microns and flexible hoses. I don't own Microns but I do have the older Micras and like them a lot. Alternatively, you can go with a heavier second stage and go with an Air II. I know some people don't like it but it will be lighter.

For fins I would go with Scubapro GO or Aeris (Oceanic) Accels.

For exposure protection something like lava core would be the lightest.

My recommendations may not be the lightest or best performing, but it is what you can get at a reasonable cost. Titanium regs would be better (Wookie is selling some) and the Haclyon Explorer wing and CF plate would be very light but they all come at a high cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom