BP/W Harness Packed Up or Down in Dive Crate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All,

I picked up a halcyon infinity off of scubaboard. When putting the assembled backplate and wing into my dive crate (rubber made tote), should I have the harness up or down? With the rental bcd, the harness was always placed up in the dive bag. Maybe I am just overthinking this. I tried to find this answered elsewhere but most threads seemed to be discussion luggage. It also seems to be that wings are much tougher than many assume.

Dubious.

For the last 100+ dives (i.e. ever since I swapped my jacket for a BP/W), I've always packed my rig wing down, harness up. Whether I've packed my gear in a bag or in a crate.

It's still doing great.

For the last 100+ dives (i.e. ever since I swapped my jacket for a BP/W), I've always packed my rig wing down, harness up. Whether I've packed my gear in a bag or in a crate.

It's still doing great.

Thank you. I have been overthinking all of this.

Dubious

Don't let your wing get pinched between the edge of the plate and or any two hard objects leaks can form. It's a function of lbs per square inch and object shape. The other thing is that creases pressed and stored for long periods may weaken the material in a line. Not much else to worry about. I take my wing off for travel and hang for storage.

I have a SS plate. I put harness and plate down, wing up. I want to lessen the chances of the bladder be pinched between whatever hard surface and the heavy plate.

I’d think it really doesn’t matter which way round you put it. However, I would think again of leaving it assembled IF you have an alu plate and dive in salt water. You’ll likely find galvanic corrosion between plate and bolt/sta.

I’d think it really doesn’t matter which way round you put it. However, I would think again of leaving it assembled IF you have an alu plate and dive in salt water. You’ll likely find galvanic corrosion between plate and bolt/sta.

Thanks. I thought about just removing the wing each time. I do have a SS plate. So far I have had the halcyon in the pool only. Will be at a quarry next weekend. When in the pool, with steel 80 I had to pull the weight on the STA or I would have been way overweighted. I was surprised by how easy it is to disassemble.

I have a SS plate. I put harness and plate down, wing up. I want to lessen the chances of the bladder be pinched between whatever hard surface and the heavy plate.

That was my initial thought, but why I don't know.

Don't let your wing get pinched between the edge of the plate and or any two hard objects leaks can form. It's a function of lbs per square inch and object shape. The other thing is that creases pressed and stored for long periods may weaken the material in a line. Not much else to worry about. I take my wing off for travel and hang for storage.

That is my fear.

Back
Top Bottom