Hurghada vs Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver2019

Registered
Reaction score
Planning for next summer trip to Egypt. Will visit Cairo and Luxor. What will be my best bet for 2-3 days of diving and snorkeling?

As there is no direct flight between Luxor and Sham, I lean towards Hurghada but is the diving experience comparable? I have just comleted OW course and done 20-30 snorkelling in Hawaii, Caribbean and Galapagos.

Can’t compare Sharm because have not visited. Hurghada is great. Stayed at Ft. Arabesque, a very pretty resort with an excellent on site dive op, very good boats, excellent shore dives, shallow water snorkeling over and around coral heads in front of resort, very good food as an AI, excellent beach and facilities, easy access to Luxor, and nonstop flights Cairo to Hurghada and Luxor. You can hire transport Hurghada to Luxor at the resort. We would go back to Ft. Arabesque without question.

Can’t compare Sharm because have not visited. Hurghada is great. Stayed at Ft. Arabesque, a very pretty resort with an excellent on site dive op, very good boats, excellent shore dives, shallow water snorkeling over and around coral heads in front of resort, very good food as an AI, excellent beach and facilities, easy access to Luxor, and nonstop flights Cairo to Hurghada and Luxor. You can hire transport Hurghada to Luxor at the resort. We would go back to Ft. Arabesque without question.

Thank you! Approx. how long does it take to travel between Hurghada and Luxor by bus or car?

Sharm reefs (my advice only) are a little better than Hurghada.

Consider also going to Safaga (1 hour less than Hurghada, from Luxor), much smaller city, less tourists, very nice spots to dive (Dive sites around Safaga - and a bit further! notice that Shaab Saïman is closed, military zone).

Many dive centers can arrange your stay in any hotel and your transfer to Hurghada airport to go back home.

+1 also for Safaga. Did a two tank dive on Gamul Kabir and Gamul Saroya with Freedom Dive Center Safaga. Both sites were excellent for diving and snorkeling. Freedom dive center has a great two decker dive boat that can easily mix divers and snorkelers without adversely impacting divers. They also serve a fantastic lunch on board between dives on the SI, and you can snorkel over a shallow reef during the SI as well. If I have the opportunity to return to Safaga, I would use Freedom Dive Center without hesitation. We did not stay at Safaga so I have no idea how the hotels/resorts might compare to Hurghada.

Did a two tank dive on Gamul Kabir and Gamul Saroya

We did not stay at Safaga so I have no idea how the hotels/resorts might compare to Hurghada.

If you were pleased with Gamul el Kebir and Gamul Soraya, just wait to see Abu Kifan.... :yeahbaby:

Hotels ? the same.... you find any kind of accomodation, from appartments and cheap hotels** up to expensive hotels***** and resorts, just notice that these ones are away from Safaga (15 -20 min by taxi)
all dive centers offer transfers from your hotel to marina and back, most of them offer an airport pick-up

I do not know Sharm but from Hurgada we have made an incredible route with Blueforce.
I really liked the combination of shipwrecks and reefs that they have selected for us.
I am planning a new trip and we will do it again from Hurgada

Cesar, how was the food on BlueForce?

Hurghada and El Gouna is easy diving very pretty too. Lots of OW and AoW people learn there

Sharm suffered when Europ stopped flights with lots of operators closing down, I don't know if it's up and running again?

Cairo - Hurghada is a 2-3hr flight.

@chillyinCanada If you want a good LoB to suit your food tastes, I recommend Blue O two who cater to UK divers. The Blue O Two LoB's tend to be more adult in their diving with the option to follow a guide or dive as buddy pairs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom