Deco regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was originally going to get current pony reg O2 cleaned, but for a number of reasons, I’m beginning to think I might want to have a separate deco reg. I can get a new DGX/Deep6 deco reg package complete with hose retainer and button gauge for $200. I could get an Apeks XT50/DS4 with a gauge for $250 used from a friend (he does a lot of used tank/gear sales on the side).

Does anyone have the DGX/Deep6 deco reg? All my current regs are AL or Apeks. I have no desire (or the tinkering ability) to do my own service.

You can use whatever you want for an O2 reg. There is no “performance” need. I know of people that use the crappiest regs they can find for O2 regs. 1st stage properly cleaned of course, second stage cleaning mean nothing. Get what you can find cheap.

I’ve heard good things about the DGX/Deep 6 reg set. For the money...I don’t think you can beat it.

There are multiple threads in the Deep 6 manufacturer forum comparing their standard regulators vs. the ones that DGX sells. The takeaway is that the DGX is a good setup, but not internally identical to the standard Deep 6 line.

I just picked up a Deep 6 Stage setup. Scribble first stage and Signature second. Nice setup and If money were no object, I’d replace my main reg set with Deep 6. It’s good for up to 100% O2, though I don’t currently have plans to use it past 40% O2.

Deep 6 peeps are responsive to customer inquiries and good to deal with.

Just my $.02...

one potential thought on deco reg quality. While the first stage doesn't really matter, having a high quality second stage is important especially as you start going deeper and the ratio between bottom time and deco time flip over. You may well spend more time decompressing than you do during the bottom portion so you are going to want the best breathing second stages on your deco regs.

You can't go wrong with either of the two regs that you mentioned and are good enough for any sort of diving.

$250 for a used XTX50/DS4 is too much though

@Marie13

Nice to "see you" again :)

Like you I use AL and Apex. My personal choice (and it is purely personal) is that all my regs sets are cleaned to 100% I always carry a spare reg set so if something goes pear shaped I can scavenge off my "spare set" to keep me diving in what ever config I'm using.

Edit: And as Tom says above - all my sets are the same quality for his very reasons

one potential thought on deco reg quality. While the first stage doesn't really matter, having a high quality second stage is important especially as you start going deeper and the ratio between bottom time and deco time flip over. You may well spend more time decompressing than you do during the bottom portion so you are going to want the best breathing second stages on your deco regs.

You can't go wrong with either of the two regs that you mentioned and are good enough for any sort of diving.

$250 for a used XTX50/DS4 is too much though

TX50, not XTX50. It would come O2 cleaned. I’d pay $50 for O2 cleaning at my local shop (which does service Apeks).

@Marie13 definitely not worth that for a reg that old. The DGX is going to be breathe the same and come O2 cleaned already...

I was leaning that way, anyway. I know a number of people who use the Dive Rite deco reg, but it’s got a recommended use depth of 50 ft, plus it’s almost $100 more. Deep6 has no depth restriction, going off website copy from DGX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom