Owning cylinders - is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add my 2psi...

Buy them used, possibly in the US, or maybe wait for a better deal locally on a used set of tanks...
Once you find a good deal your ROI will be much quicker, and you'll have a set of tanks that have a value if you ever decided to sell them.

As stated, first, the tanks mysteriously breed out in the garage.

PxjqR3.jpg

Then, you get a regulator or two, and they start to do the nasty. Pretty soon your entire work bench is obliterated by all kinds of regulators.

iDpyMd.jpg

Run now, run far....

M

P.S. Get your own tank(s). As others have said, unless you are only diving a few times a year, it is totally worth it to own your own. Just grab a tank when the urge to dive hits you and go!

If you're in the Toronto area, you might find it worth your while to figure out the logistics behind getting tanks across the border and then buying in the U.S. on a daytrip.
The $260 CAD is only a couple of dollars more than DGX when you convert the currency and if he can get a couple of fills thrown in he would be ahead.

If you're in the Toronto area, you might find it worth your while to figure out the logistics behind getting tanks across the border and then buying in the U.S. on a daytrip.
My 4 tanks are bought used. I've never had them questioned by Canada Customs, as I guess they assume that they are just part of all my scuba gear and that I didn't buy them in the US.

I never had my own tanks until recently. The advantage is now a buddy can call me to go dive tomorrow and off we go. No stress of arranging tanks to be filled with my desired mix and then picking them up and dropping them off on the way back from the dive the next day. I can drop them off for filling when it’s convenient for myself. Long term probably more expensive. But your paying for convenience. I own 2 steel 120s and got a great deal on some al 80s so I have like 7 tanks. I want to get some more steels Just don’t tell my girlfriend

Don't overlook your local dive shop. The one I usually deal with will sell off used AL80s that will have 3 years of hydro left for ~$100 (USD). That has a current VIS (often done at time of sale for a full year) and filled out the door. Other shops have been known to offer specials like a year of free fills with a new tank.

Don't overlook your local dive shop. The one I usually deal with will sell off used AL80s that will have 3 years of hydro left for ~$100 (USD). That has a current VIS (often done at time of sale for a full year) and filled out the door. Other shops have been known to offer specials like a year of free fills with a new tank.

Yup. That's how I got four of the five tanks that I've owned. The AL80's (sold recently) came from a local independent instructor. They were $90 each (USD) and he oxygen cleaned them for another $20 each (USD). They had brand new hydro's too. The guy I sold them to was pretty happy with the deal, as well (I sold them for what I had in them).

Given the price of tank rentals...you don't have to do many dives to get your money out of a $90 AL80.

Ask around OP. ex. The place I bought my latest HP100...they did not advertise that they have tanks for sale. I just asked the owner and the response was "what are you looking for?" (they had several in varying sizes)

I've only been diving two years, but bought my own tanks last year for me and my family. Only wanted 4 steel 72s at first -- now I have 9 tanks of different sizes (but I have used them all). Mainly, it is a matter of convenience. We mostly dive locally at the quarries, and when the day looks good, we can just go. I don't have to worry about how many days I'm keeping them, getting them back to the shop, etc., and I can drop them off to get filled and pick them up when I want.

From a pure cost standpoint, I'm not sure how long it would take to make sense, since it's not that much more to rent a tank than to get it filled. But if you're diving locally and want to be able to make last minute decisions and not worry about trying to get them back on time, it's great to own them.

Back
Top Bottom