Diving under ships.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a shipwreck in the Bahamas that got pushed to the wall by a hurricane , so that part of the ships is hanging over the wall and you can dive under it. So technically, yes. :D

I've been in the water when the Washington State Ferry has gone by on the way to Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island. It's so loud you can feel it and it's at least 1/4 mile away. That's close enough for me.

i couldnt imagine huge ships. I dive a river regularly that has alot of recreational boat traffic.i get 30 foot cabin cruisers buzzing my float and flag sometimes. and that's extremely loud.

Some of the farther wrecks out in the Gulf Stream off South Carolina are in the traffic lane for the Container ships going into Charleston.

I've never actually been under one but you do see them nearby when diving so I suppose it's possible. The dive boat captains pay attention to where they moor b/c to stop a big ship takes miles.

Has anyone been diving under a “shipping lane, jetty/port outlets etc where “ships” are actually moving above you visually in some way?

Interesting question. I wonder how far away you need to be from a ship not to get sucked into it, and then the propellors? Perhaps @Storker might know :)

Reactions: Jay
I've inspected the bottoms (NDT) of several large freighters and cleaned even more. You go through a lengthy lock out, tag out procedure that you hope doesn't fail. I have pictures of me standing on the nut of the propeller reaching only about half way up a single blade of the prop.

I have been on the America in the St. Lawrence several time when a freighter has passed almost immediately above. The entire wreck shakes and the large boulders rock significantly.

I've inspected the bottoms (NDT) of several large freighters and cleaned even more. You go through a lengthy lock out, tag out procedure that you hope doesn't fail. I have pictures of me standing on the nut of the propeller reaching only about half way up a single blade of the prop.
We had a special diver's tag out list for having them over the side when I was on subs. Oddly enough the only time I've had to aim a loaded weapon at a human was when our topside watch called repel boarders in Pearl Harbor of all places. He saw diver's bubbles coming up near the hull and we weren't rigged for divers or flying the Alpha flag. That lost diver was lucky he didn't get too close to our seawater inductions and that our reactor was shut down. The loaded guns were the least of his worries. I'm sure his chief gave him a talking to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom