Aqualung Legend supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

honking when exhaling? that's relatively normal at the surface. Aqualung is not the only one that does it, plenty of other reg manufacturers diaphragms do the same thing. Not a whole lot you can do to fix it, and there really aren't many regulators out there that are guaranteed to not have the goose honk.
A lot of times if you fill the housing with water and purge it again it will stop, at least temporarily.

thanks

I had an Atomic that squealed something wicked on inhalation whilst diving, it was high pitched enough to shatter glass. Was on a liveaboard, drove me up the wall. Was from first stage. Now that was a beyond annoying issue.

The on land "honk" is nothing in comparison. If I breathe carefully I can sometimes avoid it but given it's only part of my pre dive check and not while diving and is not indicative of an issue, I pay it no mind.

I had that on my reg that I used for my OW and AOW dives. I mentioned it to my instructors and they said it was common and it would be fine underwater and that it's nothing to worry about, but if I wanted to swap for another one I could. I listened to them and just rolled with it, and as they said, it was fine. All 9 dives with the same reg and it was perfectly fine.

My first dives after those certification dives were last week down in the Keys and my regulator did it as well when doing the pre-dive check. The dive master said not to worry about the noise (I didn't even comment on it) and again, it was fine for the 2 dives I did.

I just bought my new Aqualung Legend Supreme regulator and tried it out in the pool before a dive trip coming up. I noticed that when the regulator is out of the water it makes and odd sound when I breath. Ill call it the goose honk. I did the position where one would lay back on the surface after a dive waiting for the boat. If the water is choppy I often keep the reg in my mouth and I always climb back into the boat with a reg in my mouth. It keeps making the same sound. My 12 year old reg never did this. Mares Micron.

I went to the dealer and they took it apart and showed me the diaphragm in side and said that its very thin compared to old regs and this increases ease of breathing, but the trade off is that the diaphragm flutters when not wet, like in situations above. It's hard for me to believe that aqualung would allow this kind of engineering to be allowable. I don't like the sound, it makes me think the reg is either malfunctioning or junk, so I'm very skeptical. Can someone comment on this please.

As you predicted, you are correct, your regulator is poorly engineered, malfunctioning junk...please send it to me and I will properly dispose of it for you.

-Z

As you predicted, you are correct, your regulator is poorly engineered, malfunctioning junk...please send it to me and I will properly dispose of it for you.

-Z

I'll give him $10 and pay shipping for it.

my XTX50 always does a very clear honking sound on dry land but on my older ATX40 it is lot less obvious. nothing wrong with the regs, just a design thing

Squealing screeching or whistling first stage piston regs usually from using urethane oring to seal the piston
or it can just happen, a new seat will shut it up but only temporarily, people tell you to lube it, only temporary if

So don't use urethane

unbalanced seconds also honk

a serviced reg that honks that didn't honk before the service, what is that????

I pull the regs apart and tune the honk out
relocate the diaphragm, twist something, tighten a nut, a plomp of lube

none of my regs honk, oh now I remember except one that lives in a box and I haven't fixed yet

So folks, please, none of my regs honk, you are perpetuating a lack of understanding

I have thirty or fifty regs of different flavours to cover the entire spectrum, none of which honk
except one that lives in a box and I haven't fixed yet

full.jpg

Including a couple of these

what do you think stroker

I just put a D400 on eBay. When testing before listing the thing honks like a goose but breathes fine.

Back
Top Bottom