Deep Sea Supply status, May 2019 edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, in fact they are pretty durable. But for $2 I would replace the double gasket just as a little insurance against having to take apart the flange assembly. The outer seal is more easily accessed, but again for $2 I prefer to replace it.

Couv thanks for the info. However, one thing to watch out for is that the DGX tool fits the DGX fittings perfectly, however, some wings use a different fitting and the tool needs to be forced in. For example DSS. I am not sure if there is another brand of tool for different fittings.

Hi Zef,

No, I am not sure that the HOG wing fittings are still bonded. Mine was. It should be relatively easy to check the fittings. However, I would only advise to do so if one has: the Bladder Flange Tool and seals.
Bladder Flange Tool
Dive Rite Bladder Flange Gasket
Double BC Gasket - Wing Retainer

Remove the elbow or dump valve.
Remove the outside bladder nut.
The inner bladder nut will either be bonded to the bladder or there should be a double seal.

Use the tool when removing or installing the bladder nuts so the inner fitting does not rotate.

I wonder if @Jim Lapenta knows if the fittings on HOG wings are bonded in place or not.

-Z

Pot calling kettle black comes to mind ....

I love you too buddy. I NEVER sent hate email or PM's just because somebody disagreed with me or conned people into buying my products when I knew that I was going out of business and shutting down my company's doors. Anyways, hugs and kisses from me.

I have had zero personal experience or interaction with DSS, but to be fair, if I remember correctly from other threads, it seems like the original intention was for the business to take a hiatus while moving, but then set up in a new location.
Seems he owns multiple businesses right? But then the decision to NOT re-establish DSS came somewhere down the road after closing, when it was a victim of low prioritization in setting up after the move.

Feel free to correct me if that is inaccurate. And yes, I am taking what I read at face value and choosing not to assuming any pre-intent to not re-open after the move while publicly stating the opposite.

I wonder if @Jim Lapenta knows if the fittings on HOG wings are bonded in place or not.

-Z
All of mine are at the pool. I'll check tomorrow but I'm guessing they are. Which based on my experience doesn't seem to be an issue. I've been selling HOG wings since 2011. I've had to order replacement bladders for exactly two customers who changed them out themselves. Didn't need to send them to me. I've sold well over 150 wings.
One was because a guy let someone borrow his wing and it came back with a puncture. He could not get a straight answer as to how that happened. The other was due to a domestic animal.
They are pretty tough and replacement bladders are in the $50-60 range at the time I ordered them.
The urethane bladders Tobin used were much more prone to pinch flats than the fabric bladders in the HOG and other mfg's that use them.
I sold one of my DSS plates and gave the other to a young lady as a graduation present with the harness, hardware, and cam bands. Her dad added a HOG wing to the package for her.
I got rid of my DSS LCD 30 when I became a HOG dealer.
The DSS 50lb doubles wing when I decided that doubles were not as back and knee friendly as sidemount and I broke down all my sets of doubles.
I have a freedom plate now and a Manta backplate. Both get used with HOG 32lb wings.
Also, have a HOG Comfort and softpack set up with the 32 wing.
These mainly get used for students as I pretty much only dive SM in open water now. If I do dive a single, it's likely with the softpack and generally an LP95 or larger for a specific reason.
I'll sometimes use a jacket to clean the pool or for a pool session or two just because I have one set up.
Tobin and I also often disagreed on wing lift to the point that I just stopped saying anything.
I dive cold water and in an area where there are a lot of instructors who are still overweighting their students. As a result I don't even consider less than 30lbs of lift for my diving. Just in case I need to assist another diver.
I want the extra lift that an 18 or 23 doesn't provide. I also don't try to swim fast enough to worry about drag.
The new HOG 32 wings with the bungee are actually smaller than a 23 without when deflated and the way the bungee is situated it doesn't pose an issue for inflation, trapping air, or deflating too fast.

I still like my dss gear. The backplate and weights are a slab of metal what could go wrong? The kydex plate is pretty amazing as well.

I suppose my two dss wings will eventually die. And I will probably replace them with a different wing compatible with the backplates.

It is just not that big of a deal in my opinion.

I suppose if I get rid of the plates when that happens I will probably give sub-gravity a try, they are a local Utah company and part of Dive Addicts and make some pretty nice gear.

I have had zero personal experience or interaction with DSS, but to be fair, if I remember correctly from other threads, it seems like the original intention was for the business to take a hiatus while moving, but then set up in a new location.
Seems he owns multiple businesses right? But then the decision to NOT re-establish DSS came somewhere down the road after closing, when it was a victim of low prioritization in setting up after the move.

Feel free to correct me if that is inaccurate. And yes, I am taking what I read at face value and choosing not to assuming any pre-intent to not re-open after the move while publicly stating the opposite.

If you have no personal experience then why are you commenting? What business person just moves at a whim? What business person will leave his customers high and dry for at least 6 months? Tobin knew he was moving for a long time, he told someone he planned to leave California after his youngest child was out of school. If he is working is his other businesses then he is not really retired. Is he? I think he realized that after what he pulled, no one would buy his products anymore and he would be stuck repairing wings for $50.

Go back and read his posts, he was known as cool_hardware52, you will see what kind of person he is.

Tobin and I also often disagreed on wing lift to the point that I just stopped saying anything.

One thing that used to drive me crazy was Tobin and his minions over complicating wing lift requirements and scare new divers that if their wing was too large they would have too much drag and not be able to vent properly. Before BP/W came into vogue, most divers only had one BC which had more lift than a typical wing and used that wherever they dove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom