What am I supposed to react when a shark is heading towards me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, based on my slim amount of experience with sharks, is that most of the time they will simply do their thing. That thing being swimming round in a fairly pedestrian manner potentially swimming a bit closer occasionally to check you out.

Unless there is another factor at play such as feeding or something spooking the shark, they tend not to be very aggressive (most species anyway). If they do get spooked, the pectoral fins drop and they start darting about.

I'm surprised spiro's haven't chime in.

My first reaction reading the question was: there's no "for whatever reason". Not once have I wondered "why" on my encounters with sharks.
Granted I've never done a "shark dive". But I had encounters with sharks. Maybe a couple of dozen close encounters and only 2 were tricky.
Both with Bulls, one come to me when I had a fish on a stringer as I was coming up, I saw him coming and it was obvious he wanted the fish. I was very aware is bad form to let them get your catch n you're supposed to punch him in the nose but somehow at the moment my brain rejected that tactic as the most stupest thing to do. So without much ceremony I gave up the fish. Was a good thing too, because 3 more came within my view right away. They just went after the fish and that was that.
The second time I was on a wreck with my husband and other people and another bull started circling us, again the behavior was obvious, he looked pissy. My husband and I exchanged the universal sign for WTF, got closer together and got ready for whatever I held my speargun with the butt forward instead of the spear figure. He must've sensed that we also got pissy, because he decided to bother other divers.
The rest of my encounters have been great with some of them qualifying as magical.

So my suggestion if you want to be prepared, do the same with sharks as with humans:. Be respectful but neutral while getting ready to either smile or disable.
There's no guarantee that you'll be successful disabling either one, but you'll go down fighting.

One guide in Belize told us to keep our hands close to our bodies if a shark approached. He said they might mistake the white of your palms for fish. I thought I had read somewhere to make sure you don't turn your back on an aggressive shark.

I wouldn’t worry about it. We were surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of big hammerheads, silkies, and Galapagos etc. They didn’t care about us. Now for me personally a salt water croc would be different. I would try to finish myself off before it got to me although I do like the suggestion about the buddy taking one for the team.

Funny I was just reviewing my 2005 PADI OW manual. It says to just (be still I think) watch. The shark is probably just passing through. If the shark begins to look aggressive slowly leave the area (and the water?). This seems good advice to me.

Whack 'em in their ampullae of Lorenzini !

:shark1:

I've done that a few times to overly inquisitive Galapagos Sharks that were trying to mouth me. Gets them all disoriented.

(Google it if you don't believe me.)

M

My 2 cents is don't dive with others who are spear fishing, even for lion fish. My uncomfortable encounters have come in areas where sharks' associate divers with an opportunity to snack off of spears. In every case, the shark's behavior changed pretty dramatically from just cruising around to a more focused even frenzied closer encounter. In the Bahamas last June we even had a shark hit a ParaLenz camera on a selfie stick. Sharks typically don't see that well and the camera on a stick had enough resemblance to a dead lion on a spear for the shark to mouth it.
(Also probably not a good idea to buddy up with Zef if he has a BFK with him!)

But realistically, shark incidents with people are rare and with divers are extremely rare. The statistics say that more people are killed by vending machines, and you are much more at risk in the taxi to and from the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom