Running the boat over my head after back roll.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can understand when boat operators say they MUST run the prop while divers are in the water, i.e. to pick them up during drift dives or whatnot. I just don't think there's any valid reason for civilian recreational divers (we're not SEALs deploying from a RIB at high speed) to be mixed up with props.

In places that do lots of drift dives, as I said, sure, the boat ops have a point of some kind. Up in the Northeast US, in the 80's there was a lot of discussion about this, with the boat operators agreeing that since they usually anchored for the dive (bugs or wrecks) it was safest to physically remove the engine key and either stow it, or have a diver take it down--to make Real Damn Sure the engines weren't started when divers were in the water. (With the emergency spare literally kept in a "break in case of emergency" case on the boat.)

That was after a dive instructor was seriously maimed by a prop accident, prompting a lot of discussion.

I can see the OP would have some haziness about memory after a head trauma that probably includes concussion. But with her experience, I find it hard to think she would go into the water while the engine was running and the boat moving. More likely the operator had it in neutral when he signaled her in--when it should have been off.

A lawyer and some fact finding are needed. In the US, that operator would lose his captain's license at least, for negligent operation. A prop versus a skull...no thanks, I want the engine off and the key out.
The key out and engine off is a bit much. That is almost
Like demanding that the bus or taxi driver shut the vehicle down and show you the key before you exit the vehicle. It is not practical.

Similar situation for a boat. If a diver exits the boat and experiences a problem or becomes incapacitated etc. it may be necessary for the operator to maneuver the boat to effect a rescue or avoid diver injury. For example a diver could be on the surface and the boat could be blowing into them.

So the back roll timing should normally be done when the boat is still moving slowly and is out of gear. This requires good coordination between the divers and operator.

Waiting until a boat comes to a complete stop before rolling is sometimes impractical in certain situations.

I can understand when boat operators say they MUST run the prop while divers are in the water, i.e. to pick them up during drift dives or whatnot. I just don't think there's any valid reason for civilian recreational divers (we're not SEALs deploying from a RIB at high speed) to be mixed up with props.

Wait what? Most operators do not run the props when dropping divers much less when picking them up. That is not the way it works.

You shift to neutral before allowing anyone to jump off, and again as soon as you approach the divers for then to board back.
Yeah seals may deploy and recover while underway but I bet they don't hang in the surface and give an OK like 80% of divers, and they don't have huge cameras, goody bags or whatever.

Can you imagine the chaos in South Florida if drift dives were done that way?

The craziness of this event reaches such high levels I almost wonder if it was possible the impact was to some other part of the boat. Don't even want to analyze the scenario because it is too upsetting

Ouch! That could have been really bad, you got lucky.

As I have expressed before this is one reason I do not like any air in my BCD when back-rolling off the gunnel. I roll and drop 5 feet down and then meet up with other divers there. If it is rough water this really comes in handy.

I do not like any air in my BCD when back-rolling off the gunnel.

You mean gunwale.

From the Navy, here to help!

-Z

Glad that you are OK! WOW it makes me want to go slap this guy....is there a chance that he does not accept the fact a female is in this position? Sadley there are still people out there that do not accept females in this sport (or many other "manly" sports either for that matter)

You mean gunwale.

From the Navy, here to help!

-Z

Thanks for ur service

Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-12-54-35-PM.png

"Gunnel" vs. "Gunwale" - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-12-54-35-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-12-54-35-PM.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 179
We thank your lucky stars you are alive. Wow, HTF do you hit a diver with a live prop if you're paying attention? P-test would be interesting.

Sorry to hear this accident. Hopefully you are recovering soon.

In this kind of boat-dive entry, wouldn’t it be better to do a giant stride entry?

Wow, Jenny, those pics say a lot.
Glad you came out kicking!
Thanks for sharing.
Hope you heal up well.

Are you planning to go (legally) after the guy or the outfit or are you at present thinking that you cannot for some reason?

If the latter, is that your own thinking or is that the result after actually consulting a lawyer?

If you did not speak to a lawyer yet (I'd sure undetstamd that sentiment or maybe the worry that this could turn into a bottomless pit for you) this does look severe enough that maybe you should consider at least asking a lawyer what your options actually are in your particular situation.

Hi guys
This is a difficult subject for me, bu if i don't bring this up, it won't be right, because this could happen to any of us, but we think "not to me". I thought so too. I was working in Grenada, in ScubaTech dive center for a few months. I am a MSDT, I had an assistant DM, who was a local guy, older than me, and showed quite a lot of disrespect and inadequate behaviour towards me and the fact that he was told by the dive shop owner to assist me. I was super friendly with him, as I always am with people, always seeing the best in them until they disappoint me. This DM tried to make me look bad in front of clients every single time he could. This time he made me look bad literarily.
Back roll after he stopped the engine and gave me a command to go. Blow on the head (in a 5mm hood). Surfacing to invite my guests to get into the water, when I see the boat moving away from me (in perfectly still water), and one of my clients already in the water between me and the boat (?!)… My head hurts like crazy, it takes me a moment to understand, what had happened. I take down the hood... and the blood bursts all over the place..my face, hands, water around me...

To cut the very, seemingly endless, story short - it was the boat propeller. DM had started the boat on my head and drove over me before i even got to the surface from the back roll. I got myself up on the boat, holding the splitting swollen head and trying to stop the blood. If i would have lost consciousness i would have died because he was going to drive me back to the dive shop, which was about 30 min away. I screamed at him to take me to the resort that was right in front of the dive site. The staff at the resort acted fast, trying to stop or slow down the bleeding, called for a car to take me to the hospital.

3 lacerations, 90 stitches - huge incredible luck to have the scull just scratched and a few hematomas inside, but brain still in tact - I am grateful to be alive.

The DM never came to see me in the hospital, he never sent me an sms, he never wondered if i am alive or not. The dive shop owner left me without the salary and threatened that i will never find a job in diving business if i speak about this. She told everyone it was a small bump on the head.

I should have listened to my gut, when that morning i did not want to dive. I cried and told the owner i didn't want to go (why? - maybe i knew this would happen), but she made me go.. i should have quit right there.

P.S. i did about 200 dives off that boat, i had a big orange buoy in my hand, i had over 2500 dives under my belt diving and working in diving all over the world. The dive shop owner said it was my fault...

I don't want you guys to feel sorry for me, because i am incredibly lucky. The lesson to learn from this is - ONLY dive with reputable dive shop, work/vacation, doesn't matter. If you see them breaking rules or standards or neglecting safety of yourself or guests - report them, don't dive with them! Please!

Thank you for giving an opportunity to speak about it.
OMG Jenny. First I think you are incredibly brave to speak out. Thank you for letting all of us know. The head is a very vascular tissue and it could easily caused a lot more blood loss. I'm glad that medical help came soon and you are here to tell the story. Also I am glad that you did not get an infection. People think sea water is salty and kills bugs. Well it does some but there are many more that can cause serious infections including Vibrio Vulnificus. Yes its from the same family as Vibrio Cholerae (causes cholera).

Vibrio Vulnificus:
upload_2019-5-13_13-57-18.png

Looking at your scalp in the pictures you enclosed, it is a very significant injury. Glad you are ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom