Apeks Xtx50 hose change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWA7265

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to diving and I have a Xtx50 with dst setup. I swapped out my hose last night and when tightening down the nose to the 2nd stage I first got it right with my hand then I took a wrench and turned it just alittle but more so I couldn’t remove it with my hand. I did not crank down on it or over tighten it. But my question is while doing so I noticed that when tightening the hose the whole piece that runs thru the regulator spun alittle but also. Is this a problem? I know there is a slot that has to line up inside.

There are stops inside the body that align the barrel and they will allow a couple of degrees of rotation. These stops are plastic and you do not want to stress them or you may end up having to buy a new body. When removing or installing the hose it is necessary to use two wrenches, one of the hose side and one on the body side and with the XTX50 you may have to find a thin wrench for the body side or grind down a regular one. If it just moved a little and you did not apply much force you should be OK but don't do it again without two wrenches.

Thanks everyone for the fast response. I saw that there was a spot for a second wrench, but I didn’t have one that would fit it. That’s why I only put a very little amount of force when tightening it down. I’m sure everything is ok just wanted to make sure!

When tightening down the nut on the second stage hose, I always pull off the face/diaphragm to be sure the second stage barrel isn't turned. It could change the breathing characteristics as the height of the lever can be moved. I straighten it back out if it is rotated.

I’m sure everything is ok just wanted to make sure!

Hi @NWA7265 Welcome to SB.

Everything might be OK. Just to be sure, remove the cover and diaphragm from the second stage and inspect inside. The two lever arms should be at the same height. If not, loosen the hose (remember to use two wrenches) then the jam nut/heat exchanger and rotate the air barrel back to the correct position and re-torque everything.

I'll attach a copy of a manual that you may find helpful.

Attachments

• XTX_rev06_08.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 294
I always remove face plate when changing hoses, tightening jam nut etc to ensure lever is level. If you break the tabs it matters not, as they don't really do anything anyway. Once tightened I rotate the jam nut to get lever level if required. The manual used to say tighten to 5Nm but they dropped it to 3Nm I assume due to the twisting "issue".

By the way, the reduction in torque made zero difference . It's just a bad:sloppy design. Not a big problem but a minor irritation. Scubapro and others nailed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom