What am I supposed to react when a shark is heading towards me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When a shark's eyes roll back, it is an extra layer that protects the shark's eye as it attacks prey. Don't assume it wants to be petted. :p

When a shark's eyes roll back, it is an extra layer that protects the shark's eye as it attacks prey. Don't assume it wants to be petted. :p

I know exactly what it is, and it wants to be petted. I’m not assuming, cause I have petted them and they will come right back and do it again

You are assuming, as usual

I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to the new diver that asked the question about going on a dive to observe reef sharks.

Shark Savers :: Shark Eyesight
Sharks' eyes are protected when attacking prey

Also unlike humans, shark eyelids serve to protect the eye when attacking prey. Some sharks have a nictating membrane, or a clear membrane that covers and protects the eye when a shark bites its prey. Sharks like the Great White, lacking a nictating membrane, roll their pupils back in their heads for protection when feeding.

I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to the new diver that asked the question about going on a dive to observe reef sharks.

How do you observe reef sharks without bait? They will just swim off. I merely asked why you suggest not going on a feeding dive, cause if you really want to see sharks, thats what your gonna have to do.

Otherwise you just see them in passing, they are on their way out because you are down there.

How do you observe reef sharks without bait? They will just swim off. I merely asked why you suggest not going on a feeding dive, cause if you really want to see sharks, thats what your gonna have to do.

Otherwise you just see them in passing, they are on their way out because you are down there.

I've had plenty of dives with reef sharks that hung out/swam around with us without any bait. They didn't get close enough to pet, but they certainly didn't shy away.

I've had plenty of interactions with sharks without them being "feeding dives." Sometimes they swim off, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I swim off, sometimes I don't. It's what creatures in the water do. Personally I prefer seeing sharks as they come without feeding. Others like feeding dives. YMMV, but to say "feeding dives" are the only way to see sharks, in my experience, is incorrect. All IMHO, YMMV.

I've had plenty of dives with reef sharks that hung out/swam around with us without any bait. They didn't get close enough to pet, but they certainly didn't shy away.

Strange, I have seen sharks on over 100 dives, and done over 15 feeding dives. Never once saw a shark hang out unless I shot a fish, or there was other bait around. The lemon migration, which I have not done, being the exception.

Maybe I should dive with them some more see if they suddenly change.

Edit: oh and Nurse sharks, they will hang.

It’s a natural reflex to protect its eyes when feeding, bumping or something coming close to its face. Just like us when something coming towards our eyes, we close our eye lids to protect our eyes.

Here is the Cocos Scarface that was identified as the one that had killed a diver. Notice its eyes were closed when it approached to the camera without being petted.

BAD3352C-6D01-4F1E-8971-9D739705B43C.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom