Headaches/vomiting/nausea while diving after a motorcycle accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, everyone.

I was hoping someone could share personal experiences, insight, or general knowledge about my issue. In mid December, I was involved in a motorcycle accident when a driver ran a red light. Fortunately, I was able to stop enough that she did not hit me, but I hit her. The lack of damage on my helmet suggests I did not hit my head on the pavement but I did injure my wrist either on impact through the handlebars or when I fell to my right and was breaking my fall with my right hand. It was soft tissue damage that was diagnosed via MRI that is still recovering. I was sore in shoulders and neck a couple of days after.

I do 2 big dive trips a year and I just returned from my first one since the accident. Prior to this accident, I completed about 225 dives in similar conditions/depth/duration without incident. Nothing about the diving was out of the ordinary of what I would do. Unfortunately, about 25-35 minutes into the dives, I would get a bad headache/migraine that was often times accompanied by nausea and/or vomiting. I was able to hold most of the vomiting down until I surfaced or returned to the head on the boat but ended up letting loose underwater. Once that feeling starts, it is just a slow countdown until the dive ends and it was difficult to enjoy it for what it was. Upon surfacing, I was hitting the paracetamol/acetaminophen pretty hard - while not exceeding the hourly and daily dosages, of course.

At first, I suspected that it was the air, but the CO detector did not show any issues. On the second liveaboard, I also experienced the same thing and the air also did not show any issues.

I was given Zofran which is an anti-nausea medication. It worked extremely well in that I didn't feel nausea or vomit at all, but I was still getting the headaches, albeit not as often. A doctor on board suggested that it may be the result, whether temporary or permanent, of my motorcycle accident and said it might be something with my inner ear. I always carry Dramamine with me on liveaboards so I gave that a shot. It worked! No more headaches or nausea/vomiting for the rest of the trip so long as I stayed on it. This trip was about 55 dives.

I reached out to DAN and their dive medic brought up a few points including a possible neurological event such as increased cranial pressure while diving from immersion. He also thinks that the impact caused a sudden deceleration of my brain and the tissues/blood vessels may still be healing. Engorgement of the blood vessels while diving and mild elevation of CO2 may be causing vasodilation of my arterioles and neural fibers.

He suggested I see an ENT and possibly a neurologist about this. I have an appointment tomorrow with an ENT but was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts/experiences/info.

Thanks!

I've got a lot of experience around motorcycles and crashing. The helmet helps protect from impacts but not all head trauma. Other injuries can still occur. Whiplashing your head or it suddenly stopping can cause a concussion without the helmet contacting anything solid. Ask them to check your eye movement to see if there is some "spinning" occurring, similar to being really drunk but the motion is more subtle.

I've got a lot of experience around motorcycles and crashing. The helmet helps protect from impacts but not all head trauma. Other injuries can still occur. Whiplashing your head or it suddenly stopping can cause a concussion without the helmet contacting anything solid. Ask them to check your eye movement to see if there is some "spinning" occurring, similar to being really drunk but the motion is more subtle.

Thanks for your reply! Do you think this would still show so many months after the fact? They eliminate concussion as I didn’t have any symptoms then or after.

I've got no idea about the problem and I'm not a doctor (not even a doctor of divinity), but my experience is that time does a good job of healing most injuries and symptoms resulting from injuries.
I'm pretty sure that the symptoms will be much less pronounced next year.

Michael

This is only occurring when you dive, correct? You've had no other similar symptoms on the surface? No nausea in a vehicle, plane, train?

This is only occurring when you dive, correct? You've had no other similar symptoms on the surface? No nausea in a vehicle, plane, train?

Just when diving...fortunately. I am hardly a passenger in a car when at home since I am usually driving whether car or bike. If I am a passenger, I’m usually in the front. However, I don’t usually get carsick, even in the back. Now that I think of it, I did yawn a lot in the back seat of a private transfer van or car on this trip when we were in it a few times but not because I was sleepy or anything....someone mentioned that it is an early indicator of carsickness?

No issues on planes - I flew 22,000 miles round trip on this trip so I had a lot of time and miles to observe this during many takeoffs and landings. I haven’t been on a train/subway since the accident. No issues on the surface.

When is your next trip planned?

Thanks for your reply! Do you think this would still show so many months after the fact? They eliminate concussion as I didn’t have any symptoms then or after.
FTR, I'm not a Doctor, I raced motorcycles for several years and still have many friends actively involved in the industry. This is food for thought and some thing to ask about.

Not all brain injury is immediately apparent and diagnosed right away. I've seen plenty of people with buggy issues that lasted months after the accident. Had a friend who had balance issues that lasted for months, it would only show when he drank and started halfway into the first beer. This was after being rear ended with no head impact, just a sudden whiplash. I've know people who only notice a subtle spinning feeling while laying down. Etc.

They do a test for these things by having you put on a device that tracks eye movement and having you stare at a dot.

OOO timeframes can be funny things - I broke my neck and didn't realise for almost 8 months and would never have realised I'd even broken it until a racecourse vet asked me why I was always holding onto my right arm every Saturday when he saw me and suggested I get a human doctor to X-ray my neck. I didn't start hanging onto my arm (it just started feeling heavy) until 2 months after I'd broken top three vertebrate. The only "ouch" at time of crash was a cracked patella and disgust in myself for dropping my Norton.

Go back and ask for some more tests - try a medical doctor not a vet though.

When is your next trip planned?

End of September....75 dives scheduled. Worst case is I’m on Dramamine the whole time or I hope that it is not an issue by then. I leave for the ENT in about 2 hours and will ask to see if she also suggests I see a neurologist. It is probably a good idea.

FTR, I'm not a Doctor, I raced motorcycles for several years and still have many friends actively involved in the industry. This is food for thought and some thing to ask about.

Not all brain injury is immediately apparent and diagnosed right away. I've seen plenty of people with buggy issues that lasted months after the accident. Had a friend who had balance issues that lasted for months, it would only show when he drank and started halfway into the first beer. This was after being rear ended with no head impact, just a sudden whiplash. I've know people who only notice a subtle spinning feeling while laying down. Etc.

They do a test for these things by having you put on a device that tracks eye movement and having you stare at a dot.

Thank you for the insight! This is good info.

OOO timeframes can be funny things - I broke my neck and didn't realise for almost 8 months and would never have realised I'd even broken it until a racecourse vet asked me why I was always holding onto my right arm every Saturday when he saw me and suggested I get a human doctor to X-ray my neck. I didn't start hanging onto my arm (it just started feeling heavy) until 2 months after I'd broken top three vertebrate. The only "ouch" at time of crash was a cracked patella and disgust in myself for dropping my Norton.

Go back and ask for some more tests - try a medical doctor not a vet though.

Thanks, @Wingy!

I will report back on what the ENT says or does today. Thanks, everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom