New Room Tax ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I find that difficult to believe. Their site quotes "$37.00 - Flat rate for each trip either originating at DFW Airport and terminating at a location within the Dallas Market Center area or originating at a location within the Dallas Market Center area and terminating at the airport" for comparison."

Dallas Market Center is NOT at the DFW airport. It's in downtown Dallas. Our entire taxi ride was from Terminal D to the DFW Hyatt, all on the airport.

Could care less if someone "finds it hard to believe". I just know what we paid AND we still gave him a tip. We could have waited and got the airport hotel shuttle for free, but we were in a hurry and well worth it to us at the time. BTW, the following is from a DFW taxi rate chart, so who the heck knows what other "charges and fees" we were charged that was not included. Maybe like the Cozumel taxistas are accused of not using the "chart rates". I could have cared less, I called them and they got me back to my hotel to get my car. The whole point of the post was that everyone is getting a heck of a good deal in Cozumel compared to prices here in the US. My own philosophy is that if you can't afford to travel, stay at home.

"Airport pick up and drop off fees, tolls, and all other applicable fees are not included. This minimum fare only applies to taxi"

Hmmmm..... kind of backs up our claim

TaxiFareFinder - Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), 2400 Aviation Dr, Grapevine, Texas 76051, United States to Hyatt Regency Pool, 300 Reunion Bl using Fort Worth, TX taxi rates

Graduado did a great job of responding to the rest of your post but I wanted to clarify that the 19% is NOT a room tax

16% IVA (federal sales tax)
3% city tax for lodging

you will pay 19% on lodging anywhere you go in Mexico
We've been looking at possibly purchasing income property, and I understand there's also a 25% income tax on the *gross* income (before deductions), plus other taxes after deductions. One really has to do their homework to make certain the juice is worth the squeeze!

BTW, last time we took a taxi at DFW from terminal D to the Hyatt which is less than a mile away, it was around $50, and I don't mean pesos.
Dallas Market Center is NOT at the DFW airport. It's in downtown Dallas. Our entire taxi ride was from Terminal D to the DFW Hyatt, all on the airport.
Yes, I am aware of that. I simply didn't find the right taxi fare quote site so used that as a comparison. Thanks for providing one that quotes specific trips. I wish Cozumel has one like that. I used to hang out at the DFW Hyatt frequently 30 years ago, but my memories of those times are hardly relevant, I know that they tore down one of those towers and I'm sure they have remodeled the surviving one, so I wouldn't try to compare those your recent experiences much less what a very few dishonest Cozumel taxi drivers tell tourists.

On the other hand, the taxi site you provided shows that the DFW Hyatt is at terminal D, so clearly there must be more to your story.

Could care less if someone "finds it hard to believe".
I guess you meant "couldn't". Is that why you switched to bold font?

I just know what we paid AND we still gave him a tip. We could have waited and got the airport hotel shuttle for free, but we were in a hurry and well worth it to us at the time.
That's a personal call. I can only imagine a couple of rare possibilities in which I might pay such robbery, but a tip would not have been considered.

The whole point of the post was that everyone is getting a heck of a good deal in Cozumel compared to prices here in the US.
Fine; I would generally agree. There are some instances of taxi drivers charging several times what the rate card quotes and rare examples of motorcyclists snatching purses, pickpockets working the tourists areas, and other petty crimes - but they are the exceptions, subjects for discussions here and on FB at times, but not problems severe enough to deter one from visiting. If you chose to criticize such discussions, fine, but you invite comments.

The original topic of this thread is about the $1.50 daily room fee increase, which I consider a minor insult the way it pops up as a non-tax separate fee on quotes , which I was happy to avoid, but paid or not - not a deterrent to visiting the island. Just a topic of chit chat.

"On the other hand, the taxi site you provided shows that the DFW Hyatt is at terminal D, so clearly there must be more to your story"

There is, there are 2 DFW Hyatt's the Regency and the Grand. The Grand is actually located in Terminal D of the DFW airport and the "preferred" place to stay. We stayed there a couple of years ago for our anniversary after a trip back from Cozumel. However, at a tad over $400 per night, we can stay at the DFW Regency for less than 1/2 that. The Grand is dang nice, BUT, you are "paying" for that "dang" nice. The restaurant was top notch though, not cheap but really nice.

"On the other hand, the taxi site you provided shows that the DFW Hyatt is at terminal D, so clearly there must be more to your story"

There is, there are 2 DFW Hyatt's the Regency and the Grand. The Grand is actually located in Terminal D of the DFW airport and the "preferred" place to stay. We stayed there a couple of years ago for our anniversary after a trip back from Cozumel. However, at a tad over $400 per night, we can stay at the DFW Regency for less than 1/2 that. The Grand is dang nice, BUT, you are "paying" for that "dang" nice. The restaurant was top notch though, not cheap but really nice.
Thanks for clearing that up. As I mentioned, my memories of the two DFW Hyatts are 30 years old and they may have demolished and rebuilt both.

The fare site you linked that as a $6.79 fare, but you were happy paying $50. I guess you and I would never agree on such.

upload_2019-4-28_18-58-54.png

Ha, ha, ha.......next time you are at DFW airport, just try to get a cab to anywhere for $6.79. We have taken WAAAAAY too many from there (DFW and related hotels to Joe's Crab Shack, Bass Pro, etc to avoid driving while drinking. A cab wouldn't even stop and talk to you for $6.79. They could care less what you "googled". Sort of like buying a drink at the airport, usually about twice what you would pay anywhere else. It is what it is.

I live about a mile west of where Joes' Crab Shack used to be. An Uber to terminal D cost me around $16. The return trip is around $19.

Thanks for clearing that up. As I mentioned, my memories of the two DFW Hyatts are 30 years old and they may have demolished and rebuilt both.

The fare site you linked that as a $6.79 fare, but you were happy paying $50. I guess you and I would never agree on such.

View attachment 516856
There is a free shuttle called the 'Terminal Link' which goes between all terminals from the street outside of baggage claim. This is to allow access back to your car when you depart one terminal and return to another. There is an older Hyatt in the infield of terminal C and a newer 'Grand' Hyatt in the middle of the international terminal D the 'terminal link' will connect you.

Ha, ha, ha.......next time you are at DFW airport, just try to get a cab to anywhere for $6.79. We have taken WAAAAAY too many from there (DFW and related hotels to Joe's Crab Shack, Bass Pro, etc to avoid driving while drinking. A cab wouldn't even stop and talk to you for $6.79. They could care less what you "googled". Sort of like buying a drink at the airport, usually about twice what you would pay anywhere else. It is what it is.
I think the expected minimum 30 years ago was $10 so I'd expect it to be much more now, but you posted the site. But again, if you were happy with $50 to get from one terminal to another, you & I really don't have a possible discussion.

There is a free shuttle called the 'Terminal Link' which goes between all terminals from the street outside of baggage claim. This is to allow access back to your car when you depart one terminal and return to another.
Yep.

Love these posts and will still be going to dive and vacation in beautiful Cozumel. How about we just call the collection of the all travel fees, room and sales taxes, and other crazy hidden charges the new norm or simple VUDO ECONOMICS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom