Strength and aerobic conditioning for Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest issue I had during the towing while giving rescue breaths part was that I was in a dry suit. I got overheated. I made the rescue but it took me a while to actually be able to stand up once I got to shore.

I took it, I used to teach it. Back then.

Today, I could not pass the physical portions, I would not receive the patch.

If I took Rescue Diver Class today and predictably flunked it, I would still have learned enough out of it to be somebody’s best shot at living through their otherwise worst day.

You will learn CPR and how to manage the more-capable-others around you to likely work that miracle.

I believe Rescue Diver Cert should have two levels, the “muscle portion”, and the “Incident Mgmt/First Aid” portion. The course material was created without introspection regarding what we learned from the “macho days” versus the “everybody gets a trophy” model.

If you need the chevron, don’t take this (or any) PADI course. If you need the knowledge, you’re the best student ever.

Take the class, watch over the flock.

You will be fine. The most challenging part is to always be alert. A lot of my scenarios were ment to be prevented before it occurred.
Obviously you will have to do a lot of water work, but it’s mostly at the surface. Keep calm and remain focus, especially when you are having your lunch break. F+^%¥rs like to drown during lunch apparently...

Oh, yes, or while you’re taking a break with your suit half off. Literally “expect the unexpected.” The pair who taught my class are REALLY devious.

One of the most important parts of rescue is the exposure to various possible scenarios and how to react WITHOUT BECOMING ANOTHER VICTIM!! In order to do this you have to know what your limitations are and this course will expose those limits. Most 110 pound women are not going to be able to shoulder carry 240 pound me up to the parking lot, but they can get me to the shore line, maybe even partially out and begin CPR while calling for people to call 911 and recruiting necessary help to complete the rescue. I believe that is the primary value of this course. A man has got to know his limitations....

If a diver is in distress a quarter of a mile out, there are no other people around, and you're a weak swimmer, with a heart condition, your limitations would likely lead to a dual body recovery effort and a nice deputy notifying your family you're not coming home...ever.

It is physically and mentally stressful, but probably the best cert you can get after being certified. Pay attention, count divers, know your emergency plan, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. That is what the course is supposed to do.

That being said. It's never a bad idea to be in better shape. But whatever shape you are in, it will be some of the most vauleable time you will spend in Scuba gear. Good luck, and get ready to have some fun and learn more than you thought you would!!

Jay

BTW, when doing breathes while towing to shore, I suggest you do NOT try to keep counting out loud at the same time. Count in your head, breathe with your mouth.

I was worried because my instructor was saying that the class "kicked his ass" just teaching it, and that it would do the same for me.

A good instructor will make you push your limits and give you a good workout without haveing an actual rescue during the class.

Bob

As long as you are not REALLY out of shape, you can still pass it even if all you do is sit on the couch. :rofl3:

I have little advice. But will say I was in pretty good shape at age 52 (at least my Dr. said so), and did no extra prep. for Rescue. My course wasn't all that physically demanding (IMO), but I found it to be more mentally challenging. From what I read, the physicality varies a lot according to instructor/shop, etc. Of course being in great shape is always a good idea, but it may be an idea to find out exactly what will be required on the course you'll take.

It's interesting to me that the OP squats less than his bench press.

It's interesting to me that the OP squats less than his bench press.
Oh, yeah, that's not where I'd like it to be at all. I follow the Starting Strength plan, and so when it's been a while (more than a couple weeks) since I've lifted, I do a total reset where I start back at the bar and add weight 10 lbs. at a time until my form starts to change noticeably. For whatever reason this last time my squat and bench reset to about the same level. There's certainly more muscle groups in the squat, so I think it's just a bit trickier. Today was a 135 lb. squat, and it felt good, so I should have it well in front of my bench in a couple weeks. It's just hard when you get sick or go on vacation to really keep up your weightlifting.

Back
Top Bottom