Restaurant review: 10 Experiences Tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Summary – A truly unique meal for small parties in a private home. It’s expensive, so not an “every night” option. Paired beverages are included with each course. It is a very special treat.

I chose this dinner to celebrate my wife’s birthday. There are nine courses plus an intermezzo. For our evening experience there were ourselves and one other party of two. I suspect they would limit the total number of guests to a maximum of 8-10 people, just based on the space available.

The setting is in the chef’s and hosts' private home, about three blocks north of Sam’s Club. You’re seated overlooking the pool, and they present a video of 10 of the states of Mexico on a large projection screen on the opposite side of the pool, taking up the entire wall. The video is professional – this is no Super 8 home movie. I suspect it is a long format effort commissioned by the Mexico department of tourism. The visuals are wonderful, and in some cases, stunning.

Each of the 10 states covered has about 15 minutes of the video, so the total evening runs about three hours. Courses are small plates featuring something of the cuisine of each state. Each course is paired with a Mexican wine, liquor, or liqueur that’s been selected by a master sommelier. Each course is prepared and presented in sequence with the video. Each is delightful and very finely crafted.

Our chef, Alejandro, and his wife, Lorena, were our hosts. Our waiter, also named Alejandro, was assisted by Jesus. Chef Alejandro and Lorena were assisted by Michelle in the kitchen. For our evening then there were four guests and five staff! Chef Alejandro and Jesus speak little or no English, but our waiter, Lorena, and Michelle all speak wonderful English and were available to translate when needed.

I especially liked the moles. I expected mole from Oaxaca, and it was wonderful, but I was surprised to learn that Puebla also has their own styles of mole, which were just as delicious. I won’t spoil the fun of the evening by listing all the dishes, but each one was excellent!

After dinner, Chef Alejandro and Lorena came out to chat with us and answer questions about the dishes, Mexico, Cozumel, the food, the beverages, and pretty much indulged us with anything we wanted to ask about. (I found out that Chef Alejandro is a retired mechanical engineer, but his passion has always been food.)

Total price for the package is $160 USD per person, which is certainly expensive by Mexican standards, but we’ve spent more on special dinners in the USA. More information and reservations are available at www.10experiencestour.com.

Very nice description WiP. Seating is a maximum of eight. Have you shared your review on their page or on their FB page? I’m sure they’d appreciate it, if not.

@Carlos Danger @WetInPortland sums it up very nicely here. If it sounds interesting at all, go for it!

I have been living here in Cozumel for 7 years.
This is outrageously expensive. $320 per couple or $6,080 pesos.
I lived in Washington DC before moving here and was used to dropping some coin for 5 star meals.
Even then dropping over $300 for a meal was considered high.

But this is Cozumel. WOW!
For $320 per couple, I would expect my meal on a yacht. <wink>

My apologies. Not meant to take away from your amazing experience and lovely evening, but there are some amazing private chefs here on the island - who studied in some of the finest culinary institutions in Mexico City and they charge half of that.

Total price for the package is $160 USD per person
I might spend that much on food in a week there.

At an informal SB dinner gathering on my last trip, we were enjoying great food at cheap rates at Los Otates Restaurant - Home and someone mentioned that he thought Cozumel had too many low cost restaurants with great food for demand to support supply. New ones keep popping up with so many good cooks on the island.

Thanks for the report on the high end eatery tho.

I have been living here in Cozumel for 7 years.
This is outrageously expensive. $320 per couple or $6,080 pesos.
I lived in Washington DC before moving here and was used to dropping some coin for 5 star meals.
Even then dropping over $300 for a meal was considered high.

But this is Cozumel. WOW!
For $320 per couple, I would expect my meal on a yacht. <wink>

My apologies. Not meant to take away from your amazing experience and lovely evening, but there are some amazing private chefs here on the island - who studied in some of the finest culinary institutions in Mexico City and they charge half of that.
Agreed. I have spent less than that in Michelan starred European restaurants.

Looks like a lovely experience. I live close to NYC and have never hesitated spending freely on a great dinner out. I can’t imagine paying $160. PP in Cozumel. We love food and great experiences but there are almost endless options for a fraction of that cost. Wishing the owners of the 10 experiences tour great success.

Some people sure worry about money. Some times a special occasion is more important than worrying about a few bucks. Just sayin.

One of the best Italian meals I've ever had in my life was on Bonaire. I'm sure the price was significantly more than Mi Banana, because we ate there too, but it was worth every dime. My wife was smiling the entire meal. I've eaten in Verona, at the base of the Spanish Steps in Rome, and on the Grand Canal in Venice and only the place at the Spanish Steps came close this experience. I was glad to spend the cash.

Looks like a lovely experience. I live close to NYC and have never hesitated spending freely on a great dinner out. I can’t imagine paying $160. PP in Cozumel. We love food and great experiences but there are almost endless options for a fraction of that cost. Wishing the owners of the 10 experiences tour great success.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If you would pay this much in NYC, why wouldn't you pay for the experience in CZM? I don't understand the logic of how a particular latitude/longitude affects the experience.

Why? Because I expect to pay that and more for a nice dinner in New York. There are hundreds if not thousands of restaurants that are in that price range in NYC. Not so in Cozumel. I love that we can have a fairly inexpensive, memorable dinner with wine in Cozumel. Its great that you enjoyed the experience but even with your outstanding review, it will not make my list of new places to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom