VDH wing and bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bladder material in the VDH wings is thin and supple while still very strong and very resistant to pinch flats or fold fatigue, so if Bryan is using one bladder for all three wings I don’t see the problem. Even if there is a fold in the smaller wing I don’t think it would be problematic, at least not like a thick urethane bladder would be.

The bladder material in the VDH wings is thin and supple while still very strong and very resistant to pinch flats or fold fatigue, so if Bryan is using one bladder for all three wings I don’t see the problem. Even if there is a fold in the smaller wing I don’t think it would be problematic, at least not like a thick urethane bladder would be.

IF there is a problem with having a 35 # bladder in the 18# wing, my thinking is that the problem would be all that bunched up bladder material potentially creating little pockets of air that don't vent very easily. Possibly making you have to go completely vertical to get it out.

I got a VDH 18 and 35 pound wings. My thinking is that for pretty much all the warm water single tank diving I will do 18# of lift is plenty. If I need to put on my 5mil or drysuit, or possibly a steel 120, I will use the 35. The 35 is quite streamlined, so using it is far from a burden. But, for the tropical stuff, I will have the tiniest rig I can get.

I did post a pic of the 18 and 35 side by side in another thread (the Freedom Plate thread?). The pic of those 2 on the VDH site makes them look pretty close in size. In my pic, the 35 looks quite a bit bigger. Mainly longer, but some fatter, too. I also posted pics of them on my rig assembled onto a tank, both inflated. In case anybody wants to go look for those pics.

IF there is a problem with having a 35 # bladder in the 18# wing, my thinking is that the problem would be all that bunched up bladder material potentially creating little pockets of air that don't vent very easily. Possibly making you have to go completely vertical to get it out.

I got a VDH 18 and 35 pound wings. My thinking is that for pretty much all the warm water single tank diving I will do 18# of lift is plenty. If I need to put on my 5mil or drysuit, or possibly a steel 120, I will use the 35. The 35 is quite streamlined, so using it is far from a burden. But, for the tropical stuff, I will have the tiniest rig I can get.

I did post a pic of the 18 and 35 side by side in another thread (the Freedom Plate thread?). The pic of those 2 on the VDH site makes them look pretty close in size. In my pic, the 35 looks quite a bit bigger. Mainly longer, but some fatter, too. I also posted pics of them on my rig assembled onto a tank, both inflated. In case anybody wants to go look for those pics.

After seeing the size differences I don’t understand the point of the 18# at all. It’s 1” narrower than the 23#. All other dimensions being equal but with a decent amount more lift. So what would be the point of choosing an 18 over a 23? It can’t weigh that much less

It seems that a non-zippered outer shell might allay some of these concerns. Mmmmm.....

After seeing the size differences I don’t understand the point of the 18# at all. It’s 1” narrower than the 23#. All other dimensions being equal but with a decent amount more lift. So what would be the point of choosing an 18 over a 23? It can’t weigh that much less
Taking pictures of wings is difficult. I'm no where near anything close to a photographer. Overall the 18 is quite a bit smaller than the 23 which makes it a lot more streamlined for the diver who is properly weighted and has the absolute minimum air in a wing.
I can dive the 18 in Cozumel with no wetsuit and in the St Lawrence with a 5mil.

Taking pictures of wings is difficult. I'm no where near anything close to a photographer. Overall the 18 is quite a bit smaller than the 23 which makes it a lot more streamlined for the diver who is properly weighted and has the absolute minimum air in a wing.
I can dive the 18 in Cozumel with no wetsuit and in the St Lawrence with a 5mil.

Bryan, can you confirm whether or not all 3 wings use the same size bladder?

I wasn’t talking about the pictures. I was talking about the measurements provided on your site. Those stated that the difference between the 18 and 23 was only 1” difference in width, but all measurements besides that were identical? So your saying that’s not correct and the 23 is actually a fair bit larger overall?

The 18 was made by the manufacturer specifically at my request for a minimal streamlined wing. The divers that tested it loved it so that's the only one I sold for a long time as it suited most of my customer base. After word spread and after working with Eric I was convinced to make the 23 and 35. The 18 and 23 share a bladder size, the 35 is substantially larger. Never felt the need to make the 23 or 35 but demand was there so I did it.

The 18 was made by the manufacturer specifically at my request for a minimal streamlined wing. The divers that tested it loved it so that's the only one I sold for a long time as it suited most of my customer base. After word spread and after working with Eric I was convinced to make the 23 and 35. The 18 and 23 share a bladder size, the 35 is substantially larger. Never felt the need to make the 23 or 35 but demand was there so I did it.
Thanks for the info. So what would you consider the intended use for a 23# would be then? I live in south Florida and dive a lot on vacation in warm water, But i intend to travel up north more and try colder water as well as springs. So there would be times I would need a 3m or 5m. I don’t really see myself doing 7m or dry suit dives, And if i did it would be so few and far between I figured I’d just rent then. I’m 6’0 180lbs thinner build. I usually need 14lbs with a jacket style bcd and AL80. I’m building a BP set up now ideally to be used with a steel 100. I figured 18# would be ok if I only do south Florida and warm vacation but 23# would give me the flexibility to do colder water with thicker coverage etc. So your saying 18# will serve me fine yet give me a little more streamline over the 23#? Would I be sacrificing anything by not going 23# over 18# for my usage? Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom