Upgrading from Cavern to Basic Cave Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... And I certainly didn't see as much as the following dive where I wasn't the one running the reel.
LOL,,wait til the blacked out mask dive. But in all seriousness, when I was in class I was not looking around at anything just do the drill correctly. It's alot of task loading underwater in class and you shouldn't have your light scanning the walls for cool stuff. One of the biggest things you'll fail a drill on will be losing trim badly, and it happens alot in class. It really sucks when you make it back to the surface smiling and your instructor says " We're gonna have to do that drill again "

LOL,,wait til the blacked out mask dive.

Yeah I hit my head on a rock rather hard during one of the line drills.

But in all seriousness, when I was in class I was not looking around at anything just do the drill correctly. It's alot of task loading underwater in class and you shouldn't have your light scanning the walls for cool stuff. One of the biggest things you'll fail a drill on will be losing trim badly, and it happens alot in class. It really sucks when you make it back to the surface smiling and your instructor says " We're gonna have to do that drill again "

That is part of the reason I want to get more experience running reels. I need to find a like minded buddy (the hardest part), and just spend a day running the reel in Ginnie, the ballroom, and Devil's Eye.

... and Devil's Eye.
I can't find the link where I read it last month, but I think they moved the main line up closer to the surface in the Eye. Something about all the reels being run was making it a mess with cross over tie-offs, etc. Personally I love going in the Ear and working around the flow. {love current!!}

I can't find the link where I read it last month, but I think they moved the main line up closer to the surface in the Eye. Something about all the reels being run was making it a mess with cross over tie-offs, etc. Personally I love going in the Ear and working around the flow. {love current!!}

I haven't seen it in person yet, but I read that they will be running the gold line all the way up into the cavern area.

Cave Diver Harry has a blog post on it.
Something new at Devil’s Eye

Each of the levels in the NSS-CDS curriculum (Cavern, Basic Cave, Apprentice, Cave Diver) requires two days minimum. If you lack the previous level of training, you will need to meet the requirements for the previous level -- someone with zero training wishing to complete Basic Cave would need a minimum of four days. There are also a few caveats:

1. In some cases, Cavern and Basic can be combined in one three day sitting, but that tends to be too much for some people.
2. Some cavern certifications may not not be accepted as equivalent. Generally speaking, this usually tends to be PADI cavern certs that are not accepted. The reason is because the process to become a PADI cavern instructor is no more than self-certifying yourself as meeting the minimum qualifications, where as other agencies require cavern instructors to undergo an evaluation.

On the gold line at Devil's Eye and other line changes front.. Ken Charlesworth, Lauren Fanning, and I extended the gold line at Devil's Eye 3 weeks ago, per the recommendations of the North Florida Line Group and last week Lamar Hires replaced the first 300' of gold line in Devil's Eye, basically from the new extension to the park bench, with gold line donated from the NSS-CDS Gold Line Fund. Additionally, last week a team of myself and Ted McCoy re-lined Potters Delight in Madison, which wasn't part of the recommendation from the North Florida Line Group, but was needed after the line was broken during "the incident" a few weeks ago. Today, a team of Ted McCoy and Derek Ferguson will be measuring the Peanut Tunnel and installing new distance markers, plus making the changes the North Florida Line Group report recommended for the Peanut / Challenge / Olson lines in Peacock. Next week a team plans to tackle the Olson / Cisteen part of Peacock, as recommended in the report. We will get to the final recommendation, T'ing the Godzilla circuit, eventually but it's not on the schedule yet.

... basically from the new extension to the park bench,....
Almost everyone will see that new bright line and appreciate it,,,Thank you to you and the team for the upgrade !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom