Starting to buy your own dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@avfcmichael good result last night (in the end!!) :thumb2:

I terms of buying gear, as I've been buying and selling some gear recently, I thought I should add that if you think this is going to be a long term hobby/obsession, if you can, it's worth paying a little more to buy the gear you really want than trying to save a bit of money but not being completely satisfied with your set-up. I learned this to my cost. I've pretty much replaced all the gear I bought originally for various reasons, although this was partly down to a learning process of what works for me and what doesn't, and what's more practical for travel - and I like buying dive gear (ssshhh, don't tell the Mrs!!).

@UFOrb - Just about, but we managed to get there! Now for a piss-up in London! :cheers:

I am trying to save to move out - so I think I am going to be renting drysuit/equipment the next few months so I can keep it up, as I'm saving the last little bit for my house deposit! Whilst doing this, I am going to be buying a few items each month (fins etc). Then once I have the money to move out get a Drysuit, as that seems the big winner - as you don't really want to be renting them!

I am going to Mexico in a few weeks, so next payday I am going to get the Suunto Zoop Novo (it's basic, but I think it will cover me for the next couple of years getting into diving, before needing something bigger/better/more advanced).

Do you sell much on that 'UK Scuba Stuff for Sale' Facebook group - I see a lot on there!

Do you sell much on that 'UK Scuba Stuff for Sale' Facebook group

No, but I am a member of the group. I've sold my stuff on eBay, but if there's anything I can't sell on eBay in future I may try the Facebook page.
I'm now very satisfied with my current gear, but I'm sure there will always be new toys to buy :wink:

That's good to hear!

Hopefully I will manage to get a new drysuit before the year is out, and be able to try some of the other in-land sites around the UK for training!

Probably far from you but this is a great site (dirdirect) with quality gear. I would go for this site over simply scuba. Simply scuba has many gimmicky and plastic flashy products.

Catalog

I’m visiting London for a day and want to get regs and BCD’s for self and wife but want to try/play before buying and get advice on selections.
Question is Mike’s or simply scuba??

avscmichael - I read through your post and started thinking about it. I'd rearrange the order in which you'd purchase gear. I'd really put the dive computer towards the bottom of your list.

For me - it would be something like drysuit, BCD, ( or a back plate/ wing ) then reg, octo, spg, bottom timer, steel tanks...then maybe a computer.

The dive computers are today just fantastic and extremely expensive.
The $ you'd drop on a nice Perdix AI would get you more than a really nice reg set and BCD combined.

Seriously, if I was starting out all over again this would get me much further along in owning my own complete set of gear.
I have only a few items I regret buying, so this is of course coming from my personal experience !

I’m visiting London for a day and want to get regs and BCD’s for self and wife but want to try/play before buying and get advice on selections.
Question is Mike’s or simply scuba??

Mike's dive store is in London (Chiswick) whereas Simply Scuba is a fair distance from London in Faversham, Kent. So on that basis alone I'd recommended Mike's over SS.
I haven't visited Simply Scuba but have been to Mike's a couple of times. They have a very good range of stock and the staff are knowledgeable (most, if not all, are divers). They can get very busy so you may want to bear that in mind - maybe avoid the weekend if you can.
Ocean Leisure in central London may also be worth a. visit... Ocean Leisure - London’s premier marine & water sports super store

avscmichael - I read through your post and started thinking about it. I'd rearrange the order in which you'd purchase gear. I'd really put the dive computer towards the bottom of your list.

For me - it would be something like drysuit, BCD, ( or a back plate/ wing ) then reg, octo, spg, bottom timer, steel tanks...then maybe a computer.

The dive computers are today just fantastic and extremely expensive.
The $ you'd drop on a nice Perdix AI would get you more than a really nice reg set and BCD combined.

Seriously, if I was starting out all over again this would get me much further along in owning my own complete set of gear.
I have only a few items I regret buying, so this is of course coming from my personal experience !

I bought a dive computer today - just the basic ZOOP NOVO (just because I am going on holiday next month, and wanted to be quite conservative - as it will be my first dive certified). This will last me a few dives, before I am able to then get a more sooped up computer!

The next step is to save for the Drysuit me thinks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom