not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Realistically at teh moment there's little reason to buy the Steel because the differences between them are so little
That was what I was wondering. What I see with the Steel is an additional 7+ oz of weight, and a substantial price difference.

That was what I was wondering. What I see with the Steel is an additional 7+ oz of weight, and a substantial price difference.
When it runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF, that may be different. As @Diving Dubai has pointed out, there is a significant cost difference for Suunto products outside of the US

I dived with a woman this week in Florida diving the new Suunto D5. Very nice color, watch size computer. She was diving it at P-2, was as liberal as my Oceanics running DSAT. Say what you will, Suunto has changed.

I dived with a woman this week in Florida diving the new Suunto D5. Very nice color, watch size computer. She was diving it at P-2, was as liberal as my Oceanics running DSAT. Say what you will, Suunto has changed.

I think they way Fused and I assume Fused RGBM 2 handles short SIs on repetitive dive is better than 16-C (the D5 combines Fused and RGBM 2 and they call it Fused RGBM 2 (ref p.20 of the manual).

As a side note they say the battery only lasts 6-12 hours when diving. That seems quite low.

I brought my Steel as it was first released. I was the customer for my regional dealer. At the time the Core wasn't about

I've been immensely happy with the Steel. Yes it's heavy on teh surface, but you don't notice it underwater. I know it has a different glass covering the screen than the core, and as I said before has a bigger battery.

Yes I have little things I don't' like but they are minor niggles. My wife loves hers (which I bought at the same time) She couldn't' care less about technical details, but she finds it easy to use and navigate around.

Our Steels are bullet proof. more than one they've hit the reef as mother nature has smashed us into it, and no damage (My plastic Perdix wouldn't' have gotten away unscathed.

Given teh choice again, right at this moment before the next firmware I'd still buy the Eon over teh core (although I do like the lime green colour). YMMV

I dived with a woman this week in Florida diving the new Suunto D5. Very nice color, watch size computer. She was diving it at P-2, was as liberal as my Oceanics running DSAT

I saw the D5 but one of the pre launch models. I liked that it was easy to navigate - but that was because the screen colours were the same as my Eon - I was less than impressed with the brightness and clarity of the screen. Of course that might be my expectations being used to the Eon screen with without a shadow of a doubt is the market leader.

I'm looking forward to getting my mitts on Fused RGBM2 and seeing what the differences are. Also interested to see if Suunto still penalize you for missing a stop when using 16C

One of my biggest beefs with teh Perdix is that in Rec mode (I like that screen layout) artificially limits your MOD on a Gas to 40m go below 4) and it gets its knickers in a twist - WTF is that nonsense

I think they way Fused and I assume Fused RGBM 2 handles short SIs on repetitive dive is better than 16-C

I run fused alongside 16C currently. Fused at P-2 is pretty much the same as 16C at 45/95. Over teh course of dives if anything 16C is slightly more conservative - but not enough to matter. Although 16C will often give you more NDL mid dive, it reaches Deco at the same time as Fused RGBM. 16C will start to increase your NDL as you get above 19m, Fused unwinds above 14m

I have upset my Suunto with short SI's but only when it's set to the Default of P0 and generally for me I don't do short SI's (normally 90mins). I'll be real interested to see what benefits I might see with Fused RGBM2

Reactions: Jay
One of my biggest beefs with teh Perdix is that in Rec mode (I like that screen layout) artificially limits your MOD on a Gas to 40m go below 4) and it gets its knickers in a twist - WTF is that nonsense

Is this just a Perdix thing? It's a bit surprising they didn't align that to match the Teric on the last alignment upgrade.

I saw the D5 but one of the pre launch models. I liked that it was easy to navigate - but that was because the screen colours were the same as my Eon - I was less than impressed with the brightness and clarity of the screen. Of course that might be my expectations being used to the Eon screen with without a shadow of a doubt is the market leader.

I was actually quite impressed by the D5 screen. On a sunny day next to my Perdix and HelO2 it was certainly more readable than the Perdix. It made me think that the Garmin deserves another look as it is a similar transflective screen. The Teric user in the club has quickly developed cupping the screen to read it on bright days.

MOD on a Gas to 40
I've adjusted the MOD, can that only be done on Tec mode?

Edit: Yeah you can adjust the MOD in Rec mode too but I suspect I'm not understand what you're saying. This is the sentence in question....

"One of my biggest beefs with teh Perdix is that in Rec mode (I like that screen layout) artificially limits your MOD on a Gas to 40m go below 4) and it gets its knickers in a twist - WTF is that nonsense"

I was actually quite impressed by the D5 screen. On a sunny day next to my Perdix and HelO2 it was certainly more readable than the Perdix. It made me think that the Garmin deserves another look as it is a similar transflective screen. The Teric user in the club has quickly developed cupping the screen to read it on bright days.

Thanks for the information. You're talking about the Garmin with the GPS?

Thanks for the information. You're talking about the Garmin with the GPS?
Yes, the Descent. When I saw it and a Teric at a show the Teric display was much nicer, higher contrast and brighter. However outside it might be different. I know I have to shade my perdix while doing stuff at the surface, like setting gases, on a sunny day and it looks like that is still true of the Teric. The bloke with the Teric wasn't there the day I got my hands on a D5 so I have't been able to compare them directly, just a Perdix via the D5.

For someone who wants a watch style computer and unlikely to want CCR or trimix the D5 looks like a reasonable choice. Again battery life will be key, but I don't see that it should be worse than the Garmin, perhaps better without GPS to run. Still quite expensive compared to a 'normal' computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom