Shutter speed TG-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goingforsound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

Newbie with my tg-5 and also a newbie with strobes. Im very well used to shoot in manual with dslr and mirrorless.

I followed the Backscatter videos to setup the microscope mode using the exposure compensation at -2. My strobe is a inon z330 and i control it on manual.

I cannot seem to increase the shutter speed on the camera to get proper dark background. If i cannot control the shutter speed, how the hell am i supposed to shoot my pictures properly? I need to tone down the strobe to avoid over exposure but the camera wont increase the shutter speed.

Thanks,

JC

If you are shooting manual flash and using the lowest ISO and -2 exposure comp that is about the best you can do. This camera does not have manual exposure so you have to compromise. There are some other tricks that you can do such as shoot at an angle so that there is no background to light up.

Try using Aperture Priority, and setting the f/stop to f/8 (this is done internally with a Neutral Density filter, but that's OK). The shutter speed won't go to less than 1/30 in forced-flash mode. Set ISO at 100. Now, with luck, your pictures will be underexposed, and so the flash will be the only light that is working for you.

Hi guys, Thanks for the tricks. Still wish I could set a minimum shutter speed of... around 1/160 and then fill in with the flash :(

I will use my focus light to ''trick it'' into thinking there is more ambiant.

Thanks!

The way to do it is as Tursiops described. Av f8 and ISO100, the exposure from ambient light will be much lower unless you are right near the surface.

Well, Olympus is not as fun as Fuji but at least they answer.

I suggested they implement a minimum shutter speed option for the aperture priority mode.

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the shutter speed control of
the TG-5.

While appreciating your interest,
we do not have any plan to release a new firmware to change that function in the future.

However, your opinion will be passed on to our department concerned
as voice of the customer for our future reference.

Thank you.

Best regards,

S. Nakamasu
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS CORP. Tokyo, Japan

I have had the TG3 for a while and complained to Olympus as well but as you see with TG5 they still did not get the message.
It is the stupidest of things not having a manual or shutter speed setting. Clearly who makes the product does not do much scuba photography.
The macro it does is very good in a compact size. I trick with the strong new compact LED lights and center focus/exposure box. ISO lowest of course. Opening the F/stop will also help. The speed will jump a lot higher in macro shots!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom