Drift diving experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a relatively new diver, only 60ish dives under my belt. I live in a landlocked state and most of those dives have been done in local lakes. We just returned from a beautiful week in Bonaire where I logged 15 dives! My question is, we have booked a live aboard in Socorro for next April with the same group we went to Bonaire with. Obviously it’s a lot of drift and palegic diving so how do I gain experience before going? That’s probably a ridiculous question but do most people learn by going on a trip like this or is there a way to prepare for drift diving?

For the first couple of drifts maybe go guided. Apart from that just go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

SB is your friend. There are a lot of threads and posts on drift diving which should give you plenty of information on things you need to be thinking about on a drift dive. Aside from making sure your buoyancy is tight, which it should be at 60ish dives, drift dives, especially in more sporty environments, require a lot more attention to thinking about the "what ifs" related to possibly having less control of your underwater direction. Good examples are buddy procedures and spacing because if you get too far apart, you might not be able to get to your buddy in an emergency, and you need to mentally prepare what you are going to do in sudden up/down currents. I don't know how the currents in Coz compare to Socorro, but a trip to Coz before your Socorro liveaboard might be helpful if you have not been in currents on your previous dives.
Edit: Also consider getting a PLB. There are a lot of discussions about that as well on SB.

I agree with @Altamira and the suggestion of going to Coz beforehand. You can have guided boat dives there and it is a great place to practice. I would also carry and be familiar with deploying a DSMB, especially from depth, and be familiar with lost buddy procedures as mentioned. :) You can also test out your fins in that current to see how you like them should you need to kick against the current to hold your position or even make some headway.

I really love drift diving. Fun and pretty easy. There are a few skills you could practice in a lake, depending on the dock/boat/beach configuration. Knowing what to expect is key, so read scubaboard. Maybe if you can get the PADI Advanced Open Water book, read about boat and drift diving.

Just some general info:
  • Be prepared with a plan in case you surface unexpectedly (early, or away from the group)
    • A SMB and reel are a good idea. Practice deploying in your lake from safety stop. There are lots of youtube demonstration videos.
    • A whistle or similar is good, in case you need to get the attention of the boat.
  • Current changes as you descend. It is possible to get some separation between those arriving at the bottom at different times. This isn't usually a big deal, unless someone goes down really slow because of ear problems.
  • Getting into the water is less leisurely than if you are moored.
    • Don't have to rush, but don't be pokey either.
    • Possibly be prepared for negative entry (no air in BC, descend upon entry)
    • Maybe practice boat entry methods
      • Giant Stride - easy, but refresher on securing your gear is good.
      • Back Entry - also easy, but gotta hold the mask tight. I lost mine the 1st time.
  • Ask for a detailed briefing from the DM or captain about procedures for getting back onto the boat
    • Again, this is easy, but if you know what to expect it is less stressful.
    • Is there a rope, and for what is it used?
    • When/how to take off fins
    • Mask/regulator on/in until seated (especially if seas are rough)
    • What will Capt'n do with the boat/engine during pickup?
  • If you're a photographer, leave the camera behind the 1st day.

Of course, in SE Florida you will be saddled with the responsibility of carrying a diver down flag with your group. Personally, I think this builds discipline. In Cozumel or the Revillagigedos you may be with a guide to assist you with shooting a SMB for pick up. Of course, you could get separated from your group and have to deploy your own SMB, are you up to that? Are you secure enough to wait 5 or 10 or more minutes for pick up? What if you don't even see your boat when you surface?

You can read about the various useful skills before going even if there is no practical way to practice them. You can and should practice shooting a SMB on any dive, because that is something you might need to do. You might do a trip with an easier version of drift diving and currents before heading to a more challenging spot.

Task loading is a real thing. Picking up the nuances of drift diving and currents (or any new thing) is better if you’re squared away with everything else on a dive. So better if you don’t, say, go on a crazy drift the first times while wearing a new BC, playing with a new camera, etc.

@gr8jab had it all, but I’ll put a summary on it...

A liveaboard in Socorro is more than just drift diving. And, as @Damselfish intonates, task loading, the piling on of additional unknown situations- there’s where the puppy poop piles up.

Look at that list of situations, likely none of which you are familiar with, much less in a pile.

Critical advice: advise the ships DM of your lack of experience. Then shut up and follow instructions. Do not babble, they’ve heard all that before. They will be thrilled. Of the 80% of their guests who should be making that notification and request, I’d bet only 5% actually do. They will be your new best friend and fan.

Listen intently. Get ready before they have to tell you. Keep your crap near you, compact and organized. When they say “descend immediately”, you will soon learn to move towards “negative entries”. Do not leapfrog your abilities. When it’s time to follow a command, by god, do it. They’d likely rather see you get in or out first, that gives them time to fix you if needed. Keep the reg in your mouth, it will cut down on the noise they’re dealing with. If you have a question, ask, but try to ask before that question stops the process at a time-critical moment.

The drift diving part is stupid easy. Just relax, float along. If you tumble, try giggling. The only hard part is the “just before” and “just after” the actual drift diving part...the starting and stopping part. It can be a big pile of that aforementioned puppy poop stuff.

The one single best Caribbean training ground for such drift diving in this and the Galapagos realm? North End Tobago (Speyside). Those who suggest Cozumel, I can assure you, have never been to Speyside.

Know this- they’ve seen bunches of ill prepared divers. You have a big advantage, you’re. anticipating and acting upon it! You’re pretty much-so there!

Or....you could come to SE Florida......

My team could have given them an experience on our Monday dives this week in Jupiter. On the deep ledge we had a 4 knot current and just 30 ft of viz. We normally drift about 1/2 mile in 35 minutes. 1st team went 3 times that distance at a mile and a half in the same time. Groupers and muttons only had to find a barrel sponge to hide behind while we flew past with no chance whatsoever at a shot and impossible to swim south against. I was jumping in and out of blowout holes to get out of the current and hide with the other fish. We normally don't get those fast currents until the last week of July, but it's way early this year. We'll see how that pattern changes the fish migrations that are taking place right now with many headed north to colder waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom