Anti-fog solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These suggestions are after new mask prep, using toothpaste or flame technique, right? In case the OP hasn't done either.

On a tangent, I've noticed that the dive ops I've been on recently use the same fresh water for cameras as mask, computer and light rinses. Won't the shampoo hurt the o-rings of cameras and lights? Or are we talking about things being too dilute after dives. (Though on occasion, I've seen freshly shampoo'ed masks dunked in the camera bucket.)

I agree with this,
the trick is not to breathe out your nose any more than absolutely necessary to equalize mask squeeze.

and this,
I have been using baby shampoo for years and can confirm it does work very well.
There is one tip I picked up a while back and that is to apply it to an absolutely dry mask at full strength (not diluted with water). If the mask has been wet before and you dry it with a towel, if it is not really dry it will not work as effectively.

Consider that you are trying to coat anti-fog film over the lens. The baby shampoo will dissolve in water and can be easily rubbed off with finger tip. To strengthen the bond between the lens surface and baby shampoo, you would need to minimize any water presence between the lens surface and the baby shampoo. Smearing baby shampoo over the dry lens with finger tip is just a way to evenly apply the coat over the lens. Once that is done, I don't touch it any more. I rinse any excess coat with a quick dip in water tub or spray the lens with diluted baby shampoo spray bottle provided by the crew for mask rinsing. Most of the time I use seawater that get into the mask during entry for rinsing the excess coat, which is easily clear out by shaking my head, sloshing the seawater inside the mask and draining the seawater out before descending into the depth.

The goal is to keep the mask dry during the dive. I try to not breathe out through the nose, more than necessary to equalize the mask squeeze as mentioned above, which would introduce steam onto the lens that eventually will dissolve the coat away. Frequent mask equalization & draining water leak into the mask would wash away the coating sooner than expected.

Hmm, the Seavision drops sound promising, one use for 24 dives! I like the sounds of that.

I'm a spitter though because every defogger including baby shampoo has bothered my eyes whereas my spit doesn't and yes, the price is right. I just need to remember to properly rinse my mouth after lunch and before spitting in my mask. Uh ya, so ah, that's a thing

Also, I never put my mask in the rinse bucket, never. And anyone who puts their mask in the camera bucket should be keel hauled too. That's *not* a thing!

Johnson's baby shampoo diluted with some water in a spray bottle and some spit just prior 2 dive, also good for slipping into your DS, spray some on the interior of your wrist seals prior to suiting up

After using everything from saliva to kelp slime to baby shampoo to Sea Drops I also use the product SPIT which is pricey but seems to works best.
Jaws Spit Gel is what I found works best. Expensive? It's about $6 and lasts 50 dives or so. You only need a drop on each lens.

These suggestions are after new mask prep, using toothpaste or flame technique, right? In case the OP hasn't done either...

Yes, definitely get the manufacturer's protective film off a new mask first. A lighter works. I've never found that toothpaste works. I sprinkle Ajax powder inside the mask and add drops of water to make a paste, then rub around the lenses with my finger, then rinse. It works perfectly and doesn't scratch the lenses. If you didn't rub (or flame) every spot the first time, you will know by a little fog patch, and just do it again.

Without the manufacturer's film removed, any defog method is less likely to work well.

Hmm, the Seavision drops sound promising, one use for 24 dives! I like the sounds of that...

Yeah, they're awesome. I found them at a Cozumel dive shop way back when they were labeled SeaVision USA. They're more readily accessible now at some LDS' here.

But shhhh, we probably shouldn't tell the manufacturer they last that long. :wink:

On my last dive I had my baby shampoo spray with me (I do a 50/50 mix with water). I shared with anyone who asked on the boat, they were all astounded at how clear their masks were. One woman said it was the clearest her mask had EVER been, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom