What do I lose with a travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stopped using jacket style BCDs decades ago and bought several of the earlier Scubapro X-Tek harness design after it was no longer being manufactured. I use it in cold water here at home (SoCal) with a 28-32 lb wing and with an 18 lb wing when I travel to the tropics. I don't worry abot "missing" anything since even when I dove a jacket style BCD, I rarely kept anything in the pockets.

BP/Ws are not very appealing to me as a rec diver. I see BP/W as an Android phone where hardware and software do not necessarily work together really well and you are constantly tweaking here and there but people like the customization aspect of it. iPhones are integrated BCDs. They just work.

BC as phone? A cool humor diversion.

- Integrated BC: Phone comes in three screen sizes per company but with a fixed software load. No adding software later. No changing font size or color once you buy. Mostly with very big screen and keyboard, as you never know that the user might try to display or type (how much lead??).

- BP/W w/ pockets all from one company: Phone comes ready to use. If your needs don't change, you can stop there.

Screen/RAM/color are customized at purchase.
* DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package
* Transplate XT Travel Package
* DGX Custom - OMS SmartStream Harness Singles Package
* DGX Custom - OMS Comfort Harness III Singles Package
* Hog Singles Package
* Apeks Single BP/W Package Configurator

But, if you want, you can also buy and swap between extra screens. Oh, and you can likely swap with other companies screens, or install software from other companies. As it all uses the same API (2" webbing Application Programming Interface). Plus, you can likely even swap other companies motherboards under your original screen or software. If any part of yours breaks or if you just want to. But you don't have to.

- BP/W from components: All the way down to an open source hardware and firmware phone if you want to go there, even down to soldering iron or circuit board level if you like. But no need to for your first phone or as a non-engineer.

I say this having been a software engineer living on Windows, OS X, and several Linux varieties. And with 3 backplates from 3 companies. But the first one came ready to dive! The Android hardware vs third party (ATT, Verizon, etc.) tweaked firmware and software update issues are too complex to get into for the BC comparison. Plus phone hardware design and manufacturing, firmware, and software is much more complex and in flux than scuba BCs.

On travel BCs: the tank might flop about more if the back is less firm, like a fabric backplate instead of an aluminum or cut out steel one, all of which are very light weight. If you want really light, you could go with the Deco sidemount rig. New System - The Deco Sidemount

BP/Ws are not very appealing to me as a rec diver. I see BP/W as an Android phone where hardware and software do not necessarily work together really well and you are constantly tweaking here and there but people like the customization aspect of it. iPhones are integrated BCDs. They just work.

There really isn't that much tweaking once you set it up. Some divers are like Goldilocks and want everything just right and others are never satisfied.

If you look at the Hydros Pro thread you will find some divers are complaining about straps breaking and the bladder shifting, so it doesn't just work.

There really isn't that much tweaking once you set it up. Some divers are like Goldilocks and want everything just right and others are never satisfied.

If you look at the Hydros Pro thread you will find some divers are complaining about straps breaking and the bladder shifting, so it doesn't just work.

True but I have just asked some Hydros owners if they would buy Hydros again and they said yes, absolutely.
I learned that we can easily find the answers we want to hear here at SB.
:)

Back
Top Bottom