Upgrading Older GoPro - DJI Osmo Instead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So in preparation for an upcoming "trip of a lifetime" (French Polynesia), I was looking into a new GoPro to replace my older model.

I came across a few articles proclaiming the Osmo as a better alterative to GoPro. It seems to be very new so I was wondering if anyone has purchased and used it in the underwater housing?

Your comments are most appreciated!

the 60m housing is not available yet. no release date confirmed. until that shows up and we start seeing comparison video, no verdict yet. the problem with the hype these days is its all paid influencers or fluff pieces. hard to find unbiased reviews early on.

GoPro tried stepping on DJI's toes when they released a drone/camera. It was pretty much a failure. DJI is now releasing a competitor to the GoPro!! Reports are that it will be just as good as the GoPro but about $50 cheaper. They're just reports though, and like @runsongas stated, until it's widely available with actual real footage reviews, I'd plan on waiting. GoPro, love or hate them, put out a good product with verifiable results. You have to decide whether you want to pay to play. For myself, I went with a Yi Action cam as I primarily shoot stills with my TG-4 rig and video is not my main concern. The action cam is something I can hand off to my wife or kids and let them use without thinking about settings etc. Also use it while zip-lining and attached on motorbike trips. It's an older, non-4k model, that I got for $80 + $16 for the waterproof housing that also makes it compatible with GoPro accessories.

I'm with FezUSA GoPro has held the market for a reason and DJI is just getting into it. I haven't done a lot of research on their cameras, which till this point has been mounted on their drones, but in the past the drone mounted .vs a mounted GoPro the GoPro always looked better to me. Not a fan of the knock off GoPros at all though I did a lot of research looking for cheaper alternatives even threw some money at some models and though in perfect conditions, sunny out not a lot of action, they performed similar to gopro, and often better in "some" low light situations, different models tend to overheat, have issues writing longer files to video cards, can not transition well from different lighting, like clouds, do not have a lot of editing options in post like GoPro does with protune and a bunch of other reasons they are cheaper. I am interested to see how DJI will do in the long run though, I've found when a company does something right they should stick to it and not worry about other markets, I still use a DJI phantom 2 with an external gopro mounted.

Thanks guys. I have a few months to decide but I will probably stick with Go Pro as I am familiar with the design and functions, and during many dives with it I have used it without any flooding problems . I am looking forward to upgrading from my Hero3 to the newest version.

I'm in a similar situation to jon and need a new camera (GoPro 3 flooded). The camera seems to have all the right spec so I emailed DJI support to ask when the case would be available.

"Thanks for your interest in DJI. We are unable to answer your inquiry at this time.

Keep an eye on our official website for the DJI latest information about DJI products and services:

http://www.dji.com/

Best regards,

DJI Sales | www.dji.com

THE FUTURE OF POSSIBLE"

And bear in mind DJI also promised a housing for the osmo pocket when the camera was released (end of last year). A few renders appeared but nothing since. So until a housing becomes available I would stay away. For a good comparison check out Philip Blooms video Obviously there's no underwater stuff but it's as in depth (see what I did there) as you could want for the time being. Also he shows off reelsteady go and I'm looking forward to trying that out on my gph5.

So for the moment the hero7 with hypersmooth might not be as smooth as rocksteady but you can get a housing for any diving depth today as well as accessories like backscatters flip filters whereas the osmo is limited to 11m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom