Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seahawk 2 seems to be a better option

I am not sure if the Seahhawk 2 is a better overall option to the Hydros but it certainly looks like it will be a great BC for travel, full option with a lot less weight and bulk.

It seems the rate of failure for the should strap is extremely low. If you wanted to get some accurate data a Poll might assist.

I am not sure if the Seahhawk 2 is a better overall option to the Hydros but it certainly looks like it will be a great BC for travel, full option with a lot less weight and bulk.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that the Hydros owners who know about the shoulder strap issues are checking the straps after every single dive. This alone makes any BCD better than Hydros. Paranoid free BCDs. Lol

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that the Hydros owners who know about the shoulder strap issues are checking the straps after every single dive. This alone makes any BCD better than Hydros. Paranoid free BCDs. Lol

Nonsense. If you think SB members make up more than 1% of Hydros users, you’re kidding yourself. The problem was fixed years ago. No-one except a negligible number of SB users even care. We all suffer from an irrational concept that SBers are a significant number in the overall population of SCUBA divers. Good luck with that.

We have a problem with stats here.

A great % of the 1% of Hydros users here are reporting issues. Do the math.[

Nonsense. If you think SB members make up more than 1% of Hydros users, you’re kidding yourself. The problem was fixed years ago. No-one except a negligible number of SB users even care. We all suffer from an irrational concept that SBers are a significant number in the overall population of SCUBA divers. Good luck with that.

We have a problem with stats here.

A great % of the 1% of Hydros users here are reporting issues. Do the math.[

Doesn't really matter. SB divers are a relatively critical audience. The shoulder strap issue is just one of several issues with this BC. I was just in a Scubapro Platinum dealer in SE Florida and all of the Hydros Pro BCs I looked at still had the sliding wing problem. This is a design defect I still cannot understand how they could have possibly let pass. My Knighthawk has a stabilized wing.

Doesn't really matter. SB divers are a relatively critical audience. The shoulder strap issue is just one of several issues with this BC. I was just in a Scubapro Platinum dealer in SE Florida and all of the Hydros Pro BCs I looked at still had the sliding wing problem. This is a design defect I still cannot understand how they could have possibly let pass. My Knighthawk has a stabilized wing.
Good to know. Would you recommend the new Seahawk 2?

Good to know. Would you recommend the new Seahawk 2?
Sorry, I have no experience with the Seahawk or the Seahawk 2. I was always somewhat turned of by the relatively large wings on both sides that include the pockets. The Seahawk 2 has gotten some very good reviews, it might be perfectly fine for many people.

SB divers are a relatively critical audience. The shoulder strap issue is just one of several issues with this BC. I was just in a Scubapro Platinum dealer in SE Florida and all of the Hydros Pro BCs I looked at still had the sliding wing problem. This is a design defect I still cannot understand how they could have possibly let pass. My Knighthawk has a stabilized wing.

They've had two issues. The shoulder straps on the first batch and the bungee "fix". They offered replacement shoulder straps but nothing for the bungees. Apparently they made a modification but I have not yet seen this fix.

Saying that SB divers are "a relatively critical audience" is like saying that Trump is an occasional liar. Bit of an understatement. We are the most critical audience - period. I spoke to Rhyss of SP (the inventor) at DEMA. He acknowledged the strap issue but brushed off the bungee one. I only found it to be a problem when diving with a 7mm and greater than 14 lbs of Pb.

I Use the Hydros Pro. After about 15 months/400 dives both the monprene shoulder pads (left and right) tore where it connects at the hinge. The shoulder strap is the webbing and that did not fail, nor did it ever look likely to fail. Whilst my dive shop was arranging replacements, I took my HP with the torn monprene shoulder pads on a dive trip and did about 50 dives with absolutely no problems. Warranty replacement have since been installed. I believe the warranty period was 1 year, but even though my monprene shoulder pads tore after the warranty period, my warranty claim was honoured.

The monprene shoulder pads are not designed to be weight bearing. Perhaps Scubapro should have designed them to be free floating instead of being affixed at one end where it can tear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom