Tank Band - Does Webbing Size Matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to get cam bands to setup sm tanks. They sell them in 1, 1.5, and 2". I plan on traveling, hence the cam bands.

Is their a practical reason for people typically using 2 in webbing? I want to minimize weight and if tensile strength is the only factor that needs to be considered, 1 inch is plenty.

Please lmk what i'm missing.

in the big scheme of things, doesn't really matter...........if youre travelling, lighter is usually preferred. Although, when I travel I just bring the hose clamps and a small nut driver, its lighter, packs smaller and doesn't take much longer to swap out.

if using al80's, which you likely will be when travelling it really doesn't matter. Sometimes the big heavy bottles that we use in Florida can be a problem and cause slippage, particularly if you are carrying them at the surface.

in the big scheme of things, doesn't really matter...........if youre travelling, lighter is usually preferred. Although, when I travel I just bring the hose clamps and a small nut driver, its lighter, packs smaller and doesn't take much longer to swap out.

This^^^^

Size doesn't matter....

At least that's what I've always been told.

:whistling:

The tank is held by the friction between the tank and the band. The greater the surface area the higher the friction which reduces the chance of slipping.

I always thought that friction was independent of surface area.

One of those things where pure physics and the real world don't always align. If it did we'd all be driving high powered sports cars on 1" wide tyres. The wider band probably maintains better contact under any kind of non-perfect load, i.e. real world use.

"Traction" probably more appropriate than "friction"

I'm looking to get cam bands to setup sm tanks. They sell them in 1, 1.5, and 2". I plan on traveling, hence the cam bands.

Is their a practical reason for people typically using 2 in webbing? I want to minimize weight and if tensile strength is the only factor that needs to be considered, 1 inch is plenty.

Please lmk what i'm missing.
who's selling 1" cam bands?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom