SMB Reel Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a lot of fiddling around right there

Not my idea on the set-up, but it's worked great for me. I prefer to have the dsmb attached to the line on the spool, it's really quick and simple to deploy, but very secure at the same time. With this just un-clip the bolt snap, pull the bungee cord over the snap, and it's ready to go...View attachment 503916 View attachment 503917 View attachment 503918
That’s a nice set up. Thanks for sharing.

I have always relied on the DM to deploy the SMB at the end of the dive....I do always carry an SMB, but no reel.

@amoses I'm a lot like you in that I've never learned how to deploy an SMB from depth. Appears daunting. I could see myself getting hoisted to the surface, bypassing my safety stop and probably with an embolism after it all! LOL.

Keep us posted on your journey.

Smb deployment in a pool is the best practice you can do. No current, and shallow enough to really not worry about getting tangled. Once you practice in the pool, it becomes second nature. I've tried many spools and for me the wider (Apeks style) are the easiest to grip and deploy. Ebay sell them cheap.

Get this. Even comes with a bolt snap.

DGX Custom - Polycarbonate Finger Spool

Set it up like this:

Here's a similar video...it's useful if the diver wants to keep the SMB attached to the spool during the dive, rather attaching the spool to the SMB at depth. Probably the approach I will use when learning.

Here's a similar video...it's useful if the diver wants to keep the SMB attached to the spool during the dive, rather attaching the spool to the SMB at depth. Probably the approach I will use when learning.

I can say from experience and learning the hard way... tie the SMB to the line on the reel or spool permanently. Don't screw around with keeping them separate and trying to clip the SMB on at depth to deploy. I watched mine skyrocket to the surface twice like a kid who lost his balloon thinking I had clipped it on properly. That was enough of that.

I can say from experience and learning the hard way... tie the SMB to the line on the reel or spool permanently. Don't screw around with keeping them separate and trying to clip the SMB on at depth to deploy. I watched mine skyrocket to the surface twice like a kid who lost his balloon thinking I had clipped it on properly. That was enough of that.

Exactly. I use my reel as a line, sometimes. I use my reel with an SMB, often. I therefore tend to leave it rigged.

Exactly. I use my reel as a line, sometimes. I use my reel with an SMB, often. I therefore tend to leave it rigged.

Totally agree, at least for my situation. I really doubt I will use the line for other reasons like cave diving, marking distances, etc. Therefore I will keep the reel and SMB together...at least until I'm proficient in launching it.

Now I need to find an SMB. I think I'll get something around 6' long. Do you recommend open or closed bottom? Seems simpler to have closed and inflate orally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom