Tech books to Read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

51Jv2icmHAL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Helps with rebreather or Suex purchases.

I saw a few mention Shadow Divers. I recently picked up a copy of "Shadow Divers Exposed" that may be worth the read for some.

Gary Gentile’s books are usually pretty decent, but Shadow Divers Exposed just comes off as a petty attempt at jumping on the coattails of the u-boat discovery.

I can appreciate attempting to offer alternative theories to the sinking, but man, it reads like little more than a whiney, jealous attempt to trash the other guys.

given that if we all have the complex understanding of diving

I read all about everything and then to bring me back to earth I look at Chattertons Doria stairwell video
and his sub penetration video

and when I've landed, I read all about the dives I'm actually going to do, prepare, decoplan, mix the gas
visualise, and execute them

whether it's five metres or fifty five metres or 105

It's like cramming for a particular dive without overfilling your head with stuff you don't need
leaving some part of your brain free for your responses for all the little extras that will occur.

so stick only with the course materials or stuff that's completely pertinent until after the courses
when there's diving to do

Thanks for the recommendations about Mark Powell's books. I bought and read both as a result of this thread. Deco for Divers is absolutely excellent, and I think I'll use it as a reference for a long time to come. Some issues (e.g. oxygen window, bubble deco models, ICD) I found quite advanced, but it's great to have a handy reference in case they ever come up. I feel a lot more comfortable about choosing gradient factors now.

I got Fundamentals of Better Diving as part of a course pack and it was a useful read as well, but I feel Powell's Technical Diving book is a better standalone intro to the subject for someone new (like me).

Hey guys. Besides Shadow Divers, which of these are available as audio books? Thanks

Diving theory and technique books:

Staying Alive: Risk Management and Techniques for Advanced Diving - Steve Lewis
The Six Skills - Steve Lewis
Deep Into Deco - Asser Salameh
Deco for Divers - Mark Powell
Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving - Jarod Jablonski
Getting Clear on the Basics: The Fundamentals of Technical Diving - Jarrod Jablonski

And as has been mentioned, the new versions of the TDI manuals are vastly improved.

Diving literature books:

Deep Descent Adventure and Death diving the Andrea Doria - Kevin McMurray
Last Dive - Bernie Chowdhury
The Darkness's Below - Rod MacDonald
Shadow Divers - Robert Kurson

I met the author and some of the divers when their book first came out
A bunch of years later I had mentioned about the sub they found off the Jersey shore to my father a ex destroyer sailor ,and he never spoke about his experience in the war till I said that
Then he said that his ship sank that sub
As he was part of the pacific fleet and the war was over and they were returning to NYC
He said that the sub came up on radar and that his destroyer was sent to investigate, when they could not make contact with the sub the were ordered to depth charge it
They know that they hit it from the debis that floated to the surface
It was acknowledged by the fleet and when returning to the fleet they put a broom upside down on their mast to signifying " a clean sweep"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom