Monroe County housing permit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently recieved an email from the people I was supposed to be renting a house from for a week in July on Duck Key stating that she can no longer rent to me because the county told her she has to cancel all reservations that are less than 28 days and they must get a special permit. Does this sound right to anyone or am I just getting hosed.

Monroe County, FL - Official Website

Could be, the link might help. It could be the special permit cost makes the short term rental unprofitable.

I don't know the keys, but a tourist town near me passed a bunch of regulations to regulate and tax air b&bs the same way they do hotels, and stop them altogether if not in a commercial zoned area, as well as sharing information with the IRS.

Good luck

Bob

I recently recieved an email from the people I was supposed to be renting a house from for a week in July on Duck Key stating that she can no longer rent to me because the county told her she has to cancel all reservations that are less than 28 days and they must get a special permit. Does this sound right to anyone or am I just getting hosed.
Nope, she only has a long term rental permit. The county is really cracking down on people putting their homes in short term rental because of the lack of housing since the hurricane.

It’s a real thing.

The folks on duck key have more problems than that. The developer fudged his condos and permitted them (the permit is called a ROGO) as 2 BR 2 BA, and then built them with a third bedroom. Now, 20 years later, the county is deciding whether to pull the ROGOs or not, which will leave that property without an occupancy permit. Truly a shi*show.

Monroe County, FL - Official Website

Could be, the link might help. It could be the special permit cost makes the short term rental unprofitable.

I don't know the keys, but a tourist town near me passed a bunch of regulations to regulate and tax air b&bs the same way they do hotels, and stop them altogether if not in a commercial zoned area, as well as sharing information with the IRS.

Good luck

Bob
It’s not the cost of the permit, short term
Rental permits just plain don’t exist. If you don’t have one, you won’t get one.

The county have 3 people reading VRBO and AirBNB ads and then checking permits. Then fining the homeowner and AirBNB and VRBO.

The county have 3 people reading VRBO and AirBNB ads and then checking permits. Then fining the homeowner and AirBNB and VRBO.

I'm sure that's what will happen in Healdsberg over the long run, they just got started.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom