SMB Reel Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to keep my DSMB and spool attached. However, I don't find it easy to make sure that the bolt snap is holding the line tight enough to avoid unraveling when the DSMB is still attached. Both of the videos above show good ways to secure a spool by itself so it won't unspool. How do you do it if you have them attached? Mine always seems like if it gets tugged on, the line can pull off the side and start to unravel.

I usually keep mine in my pocket, so it's not a major issue, but still, it would be nice to have the DSMB already attached to the spool but still be able to store it tightly wound with no chance of unwinding.

Totally agree, at least for my situation. I really doubt I will use the line for other reasons like cave diving, marking distances, etc. Therefore I will keep the reel and SMB together...at least until I'm proficient in launching it.

Now I need to find an SMB. I think I'll get something around 6' long. Do you recommend open or closed bottom? Seems simpler to have closed and inflate orally.

6' is overkill for Coz. 4' is fine but more is better if you want to dive with it.

I like to keep my DSMB and spool attached. However, I don't find it easy to make sure that the bolt snap is holding the line tight enough to avoid unraveling when the DSMB is still attached. Both of the videos above show good ways to secure a spool by itself so it won't unspool. How do you do it if you have them attached? Mine always seems like if it gets tugged on, the line can pull off the side and start to unravel.

I usually keep mine in my pocket, so it's not a major issue, but still, it would be nice to have the DSMB already attached to the spool but still be able to store it tightly wound with no chance of unwinding.

I do this - I leave them separated but I switch between small and medium spools, 4' and 6' SMB's depending on dive sight.

A 4'er is fine at Palancar in Cozumel but I switch to 6'er plus a back up when at northern sites.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 181
Totally agree, at least for my situation. I really doubt I will use the line for other reasons like cave diving, marking distances, etc. Therefore I will keep the reel and SMB together...at least until I'm proficient in launching it.

Now I need to find an SMB. I think I'll get something around 6' long. Do you recommend open or closed bottom? Seems simpler to have closed and inflate orally.

My preference is the kind that can be inflated orally/LP hose as well as a semi-open/one way botton so that it can be inflated with a 2nd stage.

-Z

I do this - I leave them separated but I switch between small and medium spools, 4' and 6' SMB's depending on dive sight.

A 4'er is fine at Palancar in Cozumel but I switch to 6'er plus a back up when at northern sites.

Thanks Chuck. Why do you use 2 different length spools...do you sometimes deploy deeper than others? If so, what are your 2 line lengths?

Why the longer SMB up north? Choppier water?

Two sizes are for different depths and gloves or no gloves.

I live in Cozumel now so mostly dive no gloves in the marine park where there’s lots of boats, you shoot a bouy no deeper than 50’ - short buoy and small spool is fine.

Northern dive sites here are different, water could be choppy but most of all, no boat traffic and you are drifting off the island - I want you to be able to see me, I carry two smbs and spools just in case, I shoot a taller smb also.

The glove thing came from a wreck class in Florida and an ascent method using a spool or reel with a smb coming off the bottom deeper than rec depths.

Go with this one... It is on sale too! I have the 4' model but this one is the 6'. It appears they are not stocking the 4' version right now anyway. Furthermore, no one said you HAVE to fill it 1/2 full at 33' to use all 6' when it hits the surface for regular surfacing. In an emergency diver lost situation you can always fill it all the way once you are at the surface. You want this delux model that has the overpressure valve and multiple inflation options. This model has the option to fill it from the bottom with a quick blast from your octo. It is a pretty cool design as it lets air in easily and FAST from the bottom (fills 1/2 full in a few seconds) from but then also somehow seals by itself and holds it in. I wouldn't screw around trying to fill these orally as a 1/4 - 1/2 full 6' SMB at 33' will be pulling you up while you try to inflate it with multiple breaths. Oral inflation is fine for the little short/skinny SMB's but I want more visibility than a thin balloon of an SMB that looks like it could be twisted into cute balloon animals will provide. I probably should have gone with the 6' over the 4' as the size difference when rolled up is minimal but at the time I wanted smaller and felt it would be more compact. Clipped to the bottom of my BC I never see it anyway when diving. Oh, I also cut that plastic swivel clip off of it as others advised me to do and attached it to my finger reel line permanently as I didn't like the idea of that plastic attachment point. It was very strong plastic but plastic is still plastic.

Blue Reef Deluxe 6' (1.83m) SMB

Finger spool & brass double ended snap... I went with the 80' wound with the orange line. Tie a knot in the line at around 14' from the SMB so when you are "hanging" on the SMB you'll be around 15' for the safety stops and you can check depth on your DC.

Blue Reef Finger Spool Reel

I'm also a fan of these little guys... Blunt tip was my preference as I don't intend to stab anything (including my BC) at depth. Quick to deploy with multiple placement options to cut yourself away from an entanglement. I've never had to use it on a dive but it has cut a lot of lime wedges topside over the years.

Aqualung Squeeze Lock Knife

6' is overkill for Coz. 4' is fine but more is better if you want to dive with it.

Go with this one... It is on sale too! I have the 4' model but this one is the 6'... I probably should have gone with the 6' over the 4' as the size difference when rolled up is minimal but at the time I wanted smaller and felt it would be more compact.

Blue Reef Deluxe 6' (1.83m) SMB

@deepsea21 Now I'm confused over a 6' versus a 3' or 4' DSMB length. I have a cheapo 6' one that is oral-inflate...to be used at the surface only (no OPV). Perhaps I'll get a shorter one to deploy at depth, since comments seem to indicate it's easier for newbies to deploy a shorter one at depth.

I also am not sure how I will practice in a pool cuz the pool at my LDS is only 12' deep. Better than nothing I guess.

I've never had to use it on a dive but it has cut a lot of lime wedges topside over the years.

Aqualung Squeeze Lock Knife

Now that's the best use of a dive knife that I know! :wink:

@deepsea21 Now I'm confused over a 6' versus a 3' or 4' DSMB length. I have a cheapo 6' one that is oral-inflate...to be used at the surface only (no OPV). Perhaps I'll get a shorter one to deploy at depth, since comments seem to indicate it's easier for newbies to deploy a shorter one at depth.

I also am not sure how I will practice in a pool cuz the pool at my LDS is only 12' deep. Better than nothing I guess.

Yeah, ditch the cheapo 6' small oral inflation SMB. You can deploy that at depth but have to be very mindful how much air you exhale into it to avoid a popped air balloon as it rises. Whether yo go with a 4' or 6' true SMB, ease of deployment really won't be much different in my opinion. Size wise, a 4' rolled up SMB is maybe a little over 1" in diameter smaller than a 6' rolled up as you are looking at a just few more rolls to wrap that extra 2'. As I mentioned, no one says you need to deploy a 6' to its full potential at depth by filling it 1/2 full at 33' or 1/4 full at 66', etc. In fact, most DM's who deploy their larger SMB's just give them a quick shot and when they reach the surface they are no where near fully deployed.

For my personal deployment of my 4' I've learned to un-clip the SMB from my lowest BC clipping point (spool line attached permanently of course to eliminate a step and potential problem), clip that clip to my chest clipping point and then let the SMB unroll a bit. Then I take the open bottom and hold it by mouth reg and on an exhale I let a few bubbles go up into it that will straighten it out, get all that tube out of my way and make it stand up but not really pulling me with it. So, now I have the bottom in front of me and the SMB is standing tall with just a few bubbles in it trying to pull it up. Then I give it a good shot from my octo to the open bottom and let it go... you'll pretty much let it go automatically from 33' (which is my preferred depth to deploy) after a 4' is about 2' filled or a 6' is about the same 2' filled as it will start pulling hard.

You can practice this in a pool with smaller air shots just to get used to the routine but I think all ya need to do is get the SMB, that finger spool with the double clip, and when ya get to Coz let your DM know you'd like him to work with you on deployment. He'll walk ya through it on a few dives. It's not rocket science once you get a few successful deployments under your belt... I'd say it took me about 3-4 shots in open water to get my routine down and I had no one instructing me - I just watched a few videos on YouTube and figured out my routine on my own.

Back
Top Bottom