First dive light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv - my Xtar was delivered the other day. I finally got around to unboxing it last night and realized it does not come with a battery (makes sense coming from ebay - China).

What brand of 26650 battery have you found to be the best for the Xtar?

Do you prefer the single use or rechargeable? I'm leaning toward rechargeable but if there is a good reason not to, that would be good to know.

Thanks

@CDMac I use Soshine 26650 batteries, purchased on eBay. I have only bought 2 batches of 4 each, in 2 separate purchases, and the last was still a while back.

All of mine are rated at 5500mAh and test at an actual 5300 (or thereabouts).

I didn't even know there were single-use 26650 batteries... But, I like my rechargeables.

For a good charger/tester, I have 2. The Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus, 4-bay charger. That one is nice because it can hold 4 x 26650 batteries at one time. I also have the Opus BT-C3400. I think the Opus may be slightly better as a charger, but I'm not really sure. The Opus is less expensive, and it does have 4 slots, but it cannot hold 4 x 26650 at the same time. Its slots are too close together. It can hold 4 x 18650, but it can only hold 2 x 26650 at the same time.

I didn't even know there were single-use 26650 batteries

Yeah, probably not... I'm a battery newB!!

Thanks for the info.

Just FYI, the light I ended up getting is the XTAR "Whale" - It says it's rated for the 1100lm on Turbo

Thanks for the recommendations... I'm on the hunt now for cells and charger(s)

@Chanly83 yeah.... sometimes I feel like a shill for Xtar. But, I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer. Well, that and somewhat obsessive about finding "good deals" and sharing said deals with other people. :)

Also, just FYI, the Xtar D26 works great with an Oxycheq Raider light sock (the bigger one they sell).

Cave Adventurers - Light Parts and Accessories - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

It is very tight around the light, so I have never been concerned that it might slip out by accident. (but I still clip the light's bolt snap to the light sock's bungee that goes around my wrist)

The "universal" light sock that Oxycheq and some others sell really sucks. I would happily give mine away to someone who wanted it. As long as I don't have to put any effort into it, like packing it or mailing it. It's not worth that... :D

Hi Stuartv, could you pls update me how can i contact you? here is my email: vivabuddy@hotmail.com

Sooooo Now that I am thoroughly educated on rechargeable batteries and their chargers... does anyone have anymore thoughts on my original question?

@stuartv I’ll take a look at the new Xtar that is supposedly coming out next month or the month after.

Are you actually cave-trained?
Apparently "Competent cave diver (Working on official certification when I have time, but willing to do basic easy caves without silt as I have the equipment)" means you can post random sh*t about cave diving.
Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 12.15.25.png

@Charles Graves I already said this before but it's important enough to say again - GET CAVE TRAINING BEFORE YOU DIVE CAVES

@rjack321 yeah I agree but wants and needs don’t factor into the equation with my wife.
I know it’s early but I also wanted to start looking into a rebreather. My excuse (explanation) was I can stay down longer for photography... her answer was a laugh and went and grabbed my snorkel.

@rjack321 not enough to start worrying about rebreather training, but enough to know that open circuit at Rec depth isn’t going to wet my whistle forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom