New taxi company at airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
Ofir taxi company has commenced operations at the Cozumel airport as a second transportation option. They have a large fleet of vans and small hybrid autos. Their ticket counter is just opposite the old taxi company's ticket counter in the arrival lobby to the right as you exit customs. They offer one-way and round-trip rides to and from the airport. They offer collective van rides and private van rides, just like the old taxi company does, but they also offer private taxis for one to four passengers for one inclusive price in small, hybrid autos.

Their private, hybrid taxi rates in pesos are as follows:

Centro & nearby colonias 169.00 o/w, 295.75 r/t
Urbana & outlying colonias 199.00 o/w, 348.25 r/t
North Hotel Zone 260.00 o/w, 456.00 r/t
South Hotel Zone 1 (Palace, Pto. Maya) 280.00 o/w, 490.00 r/t
South Hotel Zone 2 (Presidente, Fiesta Americana) 299.00 o/w, 623.25 r/t
South Hotel Zone 3 (Sunscape, Residencias) 390.00 o/w, 682.50 r/t
South Hotel Zone 4 (Alegro, Iberostar) 425.00 o/w, 743.75 r/t

And the Union is allowing this? No fire bombs?

What are their van prices? The last time I was there it cost me 81 pesos to Centro and 100 pesos to the airport. The hybrid taxis are double. I kind of like riding with the touristas in the van into town. I'm never in a big hurry and I enjoy their enthusiasm, especially from the first-timers. YMMV

Cheers -

Van prices are similar to the old ones, which is why I did not post them.

I'm curious what the concession fee to the airport administration is. $169 to "Centro and nearby colinas" sounds like a single zone taxi ride, which (if you walked off the airport property) would be $26 pesos. I'm sure the airport is charging the ride services something, and the taxi rates were set before gasoline was deregulated, making the fare pretty inscrutable.

It would also be nice to have definition of "Centro and nearby colinas". Do they have maps posted showing the limits, or do you just take the word of the clerk when buying your ticket as to what zone you're in?

Do they have a vehicle with a capacity of 12 persons?

Centro & nearby colonias 169.00 o/w, 295.75 r/t

That sounds like a deal to me for a 2-4 persons ride. I’d pay that for a personal ride vs multi people and stops at 81 pesos per person. When did they open? If they were there last Saturday I didn’t even see them.

Pricey for sure
A private, hybrid taxi to Central for $9 USD round trip sounds cheap. I wonder how fast & easy it'll be to get the return trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom