Long hose slipping out of the webbing while diving / Dive light task loading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the DIR model was to keep things simple. If so, then you are carrying an extra 3 feet of hose because it makes it easier if you have to share air. How often do you have to share air? I'm not carrying an extra 3 ft of hose to mitigate an event that might happen once every thousand dives, especially when the configuration Eric described is more than adequate to deal with it. If you are in caves or overhead where you might need to be single file that's different, but carrying it just because it makes doing something that might never happen a little easier seems to be the definition of "pointless".

Ken
You’re misunderstanding the whole system. Everything works with each other in a way that if you remove something, the system doesn’t work.

The whole idea of DIR or whatever you want to call it is that you’re using the same equipment all the time so you build up excellent muscle memory. It’s only a small adjustment but switching from 7ft hoses while in caves and then 4ft in open water isn’t necessary. And that’s besides the fact that a 5-7ft hose is easier to share with and gives you a decent amount of room to comfortably swim along with the OOG diver as opposed to being in their face with the small hose. The long hose is not a burden at all, contrary to some beliefs. It’s only a few extra feet of hose, it’s not a big deal and it’s easier to have it around the neck in a ready to go position than to have it in done alternative configuration. With a smaller hose, yeah it’s smaller but it takes away the main advantages of the system.
How often does your car crash and how often do you wear a seatbelt?

Just because something doesn’t happen very often, does not mean you should become complacent and tell yourself that it will never happen. Diving can be a dangerous activity done in an environment that does not support human life. Preparing for the unexpected means people go home to their family alive not if but when **** hits the fan.

You’re misunderstanding the whole system. Everything works with each other in a way that if you remove something, the system doesn’t work.

The whole idea of DIR or whatever you want to call it is that you’re using the same equipment all the time so you build up excellent muscle memory. It’s only a small adjustment but switching from 7ft hoses while in caves and then 4ft in open water isn’t necessary. And that’s besides the fact that a 5-7ft hose is easier to share with and gives you a decent amount of room to comfortably swim along with the OOG diver as opposed to being in their face with the small hose. The long hose is not a burden at all, contrary to some beliefs. It’s only a few extra feet of hose, it’s not a big deal and it’s easier to have it around the neck in a ready to go position than to have it in done alternative configuration. With a smaller hose, yeah it’s smaller but it takes away the main advantages of the system.
How often does your car crash and how often do you wear a seatbelt?

Just because something doesn’t happen very often, does not mean you should become complacent and tell yourself that it will never happen. Diving can be a dangerous activity done in an environment that does not support human life. Preparing for the unexpected means people go home to their family alive not if but when **** hits the fan.

Yeah, I wear a seat belt but I don't wear a crash helmet. I tried the 7 ft hose for a couple of dives and it was a pain. For the type of diving I do, it was unnecessary and the extra hose did pose an additional annoyance. I'm usually spearfishing so I've got a lot of stuff going on and I'm often poking around under ledges etc. Having the potential for the hose to catch on something is not worth the aggravation. Despite what many on here seem to think, one size does not fit all. I certainly see the point of using it under certain conditions e.g. caves but for most diving it's more of an encumbrance than a benefit.

Ken

DIR/GUE use standardized equipment configurations for the same reason they use a standard set of bottom and deco gases. They believe that the overall benefits derived from standardization outweigh an occasional inconvenience in a particular setting.

DIR/GUE use standardized equipment configurations for the same reason they use a standard set of bottom and deco gases. They believe that the overall benefits derived from standardization outweigh an occasional inconvenience in a particular setting.

I understand that and agree that under some very limited conditions it's a good thing. In reality, the conditions in which total compliance is beneficial is a remarkably small percentage of the diving being done every day. My point is that you need to rig your gear to maximize its effectiveness and efficiency under the conditions that you normally encounter and modify if different conditions dictate. Many years ago I went to the bungied necklace because I saw the benefit. As a primarily open water diver, I fail to see any real benefit and do see negatives from a 7' primary. If I were to start cave diving I would adapt. The OP didn't say he was doing GUE or some other technical training where it was required. I would suggest to all newer divers that they actually think the situation through for themselves instead of blindly following a particular system. Too much of the advice proffered on this board falls into the realm of dogmatism. Just my opinion.

This is the basic board scuba discussion board after all.

Ken

I thought the DIR model was to keep things simple. If so, then you are carrying an extra 3 feet of hose because it makes it easier if you have to share air. How often do you have to share air? I'm not carrying an extra 3 ft of hose to mitigate an event that might happen once every thousand dives, especially when the configuration Eric described is more than adequate to deal with it. If you are in caves or overhead where you might need to be single file that's different, but carrying it just because it makes doing something that might never happen a little easier seems to be the definition of "pointless".

Ken
Does it really matter?

Whether you prefer primary donate or secondary donate, it doesn't matter to me. Just let me know during the pre-dive chat and I'm ok. Whether you prefer a 7'/210cm, a 5'/150cm or a 40"/100cm hose with a bend, or a PADI-style short hose with octo I could hardly care less.

I've dived with folks preferring either of those configurations, and it hasn't mattered one iota to me. Sure, I have my preferences, and personally I don't see the point in having a primary hose longer than 150cm/5', but then I'm not diving overheads where single file diving while sharing gas may be a probable situation. If you prefer a 7'/210cm long hose, that's your problem, not mine. And if you sometimes dive an environment where a 7'/210cm long hose is a good idea and prefer to do so also when it isn't required, I'll respect that you prefer to use the same config on every dive. Because to me that seems like a good idea.

Dive and let dive. But if we buddy up, just do me a favor and tell me about your personal idiosyncrasies before we splash.

I understand that and agree that under some very limited conditions it's a good thing. In reality, the conditions in which total compliance is beneficial is a remarkably small percentage of the diving being done every day.

You disagree, that's fine, but that's why they do many of the things they do. "Beginning with the end in mind" is a phrase you will hear, i.e., learning to do things in such a way that you can build on them as the dives become more complicated, rather than having to change things around.

Does it really matter?

Dive and let dive. But if we buddy up, just do me a favor and tell me about your personal idiosyncrasies before we splash.

Pretty much summed how I feel. When I am vacation diving and am forced to dive with a buddy, to me it doesn't. Unless your configuration actually resulted in a situation that was dangerous or damaging to the reefs, dive the way you want.

Reactions: Kha
Yeah, I wear a seat belt but I don't wear a crash helmet. I tried the 7 ft hose for a couple of dives and it was a pain. For the type of diving I do, it was unnecessary and the extra hose did pose an additional annoyance. I'm usually spearfishing so I've got a lot of stuff going on and I'm often poking around under ledges etc. Having the potential for the hose to catch on something is not worth the aggravation. Despite what many on here seem to think, one size does not fit all. I certainly see the point of using it under certain conditions e.g. caves but for most diving it's more of an encumbrance than a benefit.

Ken
Never said it’s for everyone’s diving. You’re tying to argue against DIRdiving from a spearfishing perspective. That’s two different things.

If the hose is looped properly, you will not catch it on anything. I honestly doubt you’ve dived in this config if you think it’s a hindrance....As were saying again, how is it cumbersome? It’s literrally +3 ft of hose... it doesn’t weigh anything. You seem like someone that dislikes things youre unfamiliar with.

I use one of these on my right waist band. It’s held in place on the waist band with a retainer clip. There are two little clips behind the sheath for the shears. I tuck the hose between those two clips and it seems to stay put.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom