No More Plastic Grocery Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if they let you carry your own shopping bags at the store? I've always had to check my bags on arrival. I am all for furnishing your own bags; I have been at home for years.
You think they're going to make you check in a few folded cloth bags?

Soriana/Mega makes you check anything larger than a purse, that's why they don't get my business. Screw them. Chedraui would probably let me drag an empty suitcase through the store.

I bought a bunch at Mega today, all in plastic bags, and I think Mega is part of the Soriana chain. I do support the end of the plastic bags and even refuse the bags when I can easily carry out the products. Just have not yet bought fabric bags. Sams club here gives no bags at all.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Sam's Club and Costco don't offer free plastic bags at any of their stores. You can buy them at Sam's Club in Mexico, which I normally do, then reuse them for the rest of the trip.

You think they're going to make you check in a few folded cloth bags?
I carry them from home on trips.

Last summer, I ordered paper straws to carry in my car. To protect them, I made a PVC tube with caps. Then I decided to take the tube to Mexico. Do not try to carry something like this in your carry-on bag in an airport!

IMG_1798.JPG

I carry them from home on trips.

Last summer, I ordered paper straws to carry in my car. To protect them, I made a PVC tube with caps. Then I decided to take the tube to Mexico. Do not try to carry something like this in your carry-on bag in an airport!

View attachment 519709
You could take the batteries out of a large sex toy and store them in that. Might make a trip through TSA more entertaining if you're not easily embarrassed.

I wonder if they let you carry your own shopping bags at the store? I've always had to check my bags on arrival.

Of course. I use mine regularly. Sometimes, if I am only getting a few things, I just put them straight into one of my bags and then empty it at the till. I have an honest face, I guess, because I have never had any problems. Most places don't even ask me to check my backpack upon entry. Only Mega...

Next step in Cozumel is to reduce the amount of plastic water bottles we all use on dive boats. I met a group last year and just about all of them brought a reusable bottle to refill. The year before that I dove with Blue Project who provides reusable water bottles to everyone each day.
If plastic water bottles on the boat is something you base your dive op decision on, Eco Divers uses reusable jugs of water and provides reusable plastic cups.

If plastic water bottles on the boat is something you base your dive op decision on, Eco Divers uses reusable jugs of water and provides reusable plastic cups.
So does Blue Angel; they are all numbered so you use the same one throughout the trip. I went to both Mega and Chedraui last week and both gave me my stuff in plastic bags. It's a good thing; how else would I get my feet though the legs of a damp wetsuit?

Next step in Cozumel is to reduce the amount of plastic water bottles we all use on dive boats.

"We all use on dive boats"? There are dive ops still handing out those one-use plastic bottles of water on their boats? WTF is that about? I wouldn't dive with such an op. I prefer the good 'ole big insulated water cooler with a spout on the bottom just like you see on the back of every sizable construction crew's truck or trailer. A bag of purified ice goes in and then it gets filled with purified water. I'd say 90% of the divers on boats that use a cooler bring their own water bottles with them that they refill over and over again throughout their vacation everywhere. Virtually no one ever uses the disposable plastic cups that are available. The reality is a dive op can't offer wax paper cups and cones effectively on their boats because they get wet and the humid/wet environment renders them useless in a day or two.

I'm guessing you won't share the name of the dive op you use that is still handing out plastic water bottles that get 1/4-1/2 drank and then are found laying all over the place in the boat to be thrown away. Tell your dive op to get an insulated water cooler and end the plastic personal bottled water BS or you'll find a new dive op. That sends a STRONG message that just may be heard unless that op caters to a dive clientele that cares less about the environment and prefers to see their selfish/arrogant demands met... God forbid they drink water out of a spout from a common cooler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom