Thumbs down! (TANK)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was out of town, and just took a call. One of the lp85 tanks of my Worthington/XS twins failed hydro on it's first requalification. Tester said he did it twice, both times, far from passing.

Amazing. This tank has less than 2 dozen fills, and never saw 2800 psi! Always part of this set of twins.

So aggravated!

That sure sucks.

Bummer.

Was out of town, and just took a call. One of the lp85 tanks of my Worthington/XS twins failed hydro on it's first requalification. Tester said he did it twice, both times, far from passing.

Amazing. This tank has less than 2 dozen fills, and never saw 2800 psi! Always part of this set of twins.

So aggravated!

RH...

Take your cylinder to another hydro-requalifier...and have it tested again...

If your shop tech failed to calibrate the machine...or calibrated it incorrectly or if the air was not fully purged out of your cylinder...the problem may be with the requalifier/machine...and not your cylinder...

Being hydro requalification certified...I'm highly suspect that the ''fail'' was because of your cylinder...especially in light of the cylinder condition information you have provided...

If your requalifier tested the cylinder twice...and it failed twice...it would mean that it ''expanded'' twice...and did not return to spec twice...which is highly unlikely...I suspect there was air in the cylinder...

A second test is far less expensive than a new cylinder...

Best...

Warren

If you are the original owner and can supply proof of purchase, it is certainly worth contacting XS Scuba to see if they will can/will do anything. If Worthington was still in the scuba business, I would have said that sounds like an original manufacturer defect and would potentially be covered by an MFGR warranty. (Luxfer warranty is 15 years, with conditions of course.) If Worthington did warranty them, they still exist as a company and might still take some responsibility.

Even if you don't get a free replacement out of them, you might get quite a discount on replacement.

try another rin just for the hell of it

RH...

Take your cylinder to another hydro-requalifier...and have it tested again...

If your shop tech failed to calibrate the machine...or calibrated it incorrectly or if the air was not fully purged out of your cylinder...the problem may be with the requalifier/machine...and not your cylinder...

Being hydro requalification certified...I'm highly suspect that the ''fail'' was because of your cylinder...especially in light of the cylinder condition information you have provided...

If your requalifier tested the cylinder twice...and it failed twice...it would mean that it ''expanded'' twice...and did not return to spec twice...which is highly unlikely...I suspect there was air in the cylinder...

A second test is far less expensive than a new cylinder...

Best...

Warren

try another rin just for the hell of it
I am guessing that the hydro tester has XXXX'ed out the cylinder markings before returning the tank, and it is too late for another bit of the apple.

I am guessing that the hydro tester has XXXX'ed out the cylinder markings before returning the tank, and it is too late for another bit of the apple.

Hey Jack...

Correct...however the shop should still be discussing with the owner...disposition of the cylinder before any XXXX'ing...or drilling...as the cylinder's not the shop's property to destroy...

The cylinder can't be filled anyway...if the hydro/re-hydro is out of date...

In this particular case...I believe there is nothing wrong with the cylinder...the likely problem being the testing protocols...with air in the cylinder being the most likely suspect...

This shop may infact be failing lots of cylinders...that should have passed...I'll also bet they have lots of new cylinders available for sale...and playing a fail/sale game...

Warren...

Hey Jack...

Correct...however the shop should still be discussing with the owner...disposition of the cylinder before any XXXX'ing...or drilling...as the tank's not the shop's property to destroy...

The cylinder can't be filled anyway...if the hydro/re-hydro is out of date...

In this particular case...I believe there is nothing wrong with the cylinder...the likely problem being the testing protocols...

This shop may infact be failing lots of tanks...that should have passed...I'll also bet they have lots of new tanks available for sale...and playing a fail/sale game...

Warren...
I can't tell from his profile where @rhwestfall lives, but there are probably at least a few differences between Canada and the US. I don't know about Canada, but in the US it is very rare that a shop does the hydro re-test themselves. They are outsourced to someone that is not under their direct control. (Mark from PSI/PCI likes to say "don't ever trust your hydro requalifier until you have learned to trust your hydro requalifier")
Also, my understanding is that the tester in the US is required to mark out the tank after failing the test, that it is not an option.
Again, during PSI/PCI training Mark explains the subtle difference between rendering the customer's property physically incapable of holding air without permission by drilling it or damaging the threads, and the responsibility to permanently mark the cylinder after the failed test.

did they tell you what the tested expansion value was? did they do the 90% prestretch?

i always print and tape the pst/worthington bulletins to my hdg tanks when i send them in for hydro because of the difference in procedure to make sure the shop does it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom