Best Way to Attach a GoPro to my Head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough, let's say the mounting platform (my hand) was cheaper! :p

I use a scubapro mount on my mask, all it needs is a a cable tie to put on, so it is easily removed. I agree with what people say about mask mount go pro not being steady. However the pluses for me are
:
1. I spend a dive looking at things, I see more than most photographers, if I see something interesting, I hold my head still. If I don’t good footage, I don’t care, because I have the memories.
2. My hands are free

There are lots of examples of bad videos taken with a GoPro7. A tray is the only way to get anything decent.

Here's an example of someone who controlled camera movement.

There are lots of examples of bad videos taken with a GoPro7. A tray is the only way to get anything decent.

There are lots of examples of bad videos taken with a GoPro7. A tray is the only way to get anything decent

Here's an example of someone who controlled camera movement.".

perfect post. The top 2 videos are not what I would consider horrible at all. They are about what I would expect from an amateur gopro video taker. The third is markedly better, obviously the result of someone who is more dedicated to shooting great film. This highlights the point, the advantages of head mount (or hand mount) gopro is you reduce task loading from having to maintain camera tray rather then being hands free. The choice you have is simple, are you more dedicated to great video, with an external tray, which requires more skill and practice, or are you willing to accept average video and commit less time to training so that you are not as task loaded while diving. Only a question you can answer. Whichever way you choose is ok, but you have to commit. If you want an external tray mounted camera you have to put in the time and practice to make sure you can handle the task loading (i.e. you can maintain buoyancy and execute emergency procedures while managing the external camera).

Slow motion is a wonderful thing. This video certainly exploits that technique, but it’s amazing nonetheless. To capture underwater video in real time is a huge challenge. I completely agree that a tray (and proper editing) is really the only way accomplish this.

My favorite video, GoPro 5 Black on a SnakeRiver tray:

I have a mako mask with the GoPro attachment. It’s secure, and you won’t lose your camera.

As for nauseating and shaky video....it can be...until you figure out how to slowly move about...or hover motionless. It will take a couple dives to adjust it to record exactly where you are looking, vice being too high or low. Tinker with it.

I find mask mounted convenient for cave and wreck dives.

I shoot 30 second to 1minute clips. Easy to crop and string together for a video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom