Changing Scubapro R195 for Right Hand use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a very lightly used R195 second stage which I want to put into service as a Deco Reg.
Quite straightforward I thought and I have all the tools I need.
My problem is how do I remove the housing 'Plug" from the body in order to reverse the hose routing.
This plug (after the plug cover has been removed) has 2 small holes on the outside, also an arrow marking.
20190518_180410.jpg
The inside is a flat "Head". I do not want to break the plug, Is it a simple "unscrew job" or is there more to it than that.
20190518_180354.jpg
Pics attached.

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to "take it to a dealer"

its a twist to lock plug, turn it a little bit and push it out

Thanks for the info my friends.
Like so many things in life, it's easy when you know the secret.

But why do you need it reversed?
Pavao...
This is my deco reg for my right tank.
Feeding the hose in from the left side of the second stage gives me a tidy hose routing and also a very tactile reminder of which regulator I am using.

How do you route a 7' hose so that it doesn't get trapped by a deco bottle on the right side of your body?

How do you route a 7' hose so that it doesn't get trapped by a deco bottle on the right side of your body?
FB_IMG_1549982705318.jpg
Enlarge the photo and you will see there is an area below my armpit and above the deco tank.
The excess length of the long hose is stowed on the main tank in line with this area, so effectively close to my torso.
Sorry not a good explanation in words. But when everything is configured correctly it is very easy to deploy long hose without snagging.

Were you able to get that plug out and reverse the barrel?
Oh yes, easy when you know how.
Thanks for the help.
The rest of the "reversing" is very straight forward and I remembered to put the aspirator plug in the right place. LOL

Thanks for the info my friends.
Like so many things in life, it's easy when you know the secret.

This is my deco reg for my right tank.
Feeding the hose in from the left side of the second stage gives me a tidy hose routing and also a very tactile reminder of which regulator I am using.

Terry,

I'm also about to do this with a new Mk2+/R195 so just to clarify... are you also bringing the hose from your right deco bottle behind your neck and down from your left side as well? and If so, do you find the hoses that come standard with the R195 long enough to wrap around from behind your neck coming from the opposite side ( i.e. right bottle behind neck down left side or vice versa) .... or are you using a longer hose, like an octopus length hose?

Just wondering as I'm ordering some spare parts and considering if I need to order longer hoses to do this as well since I already have the advantage of rerouting the houses from the left or right side on the R195 second stage.

Terry,

I'm also about to do this with a new Mk2+/R195 so just to clarify... are you also bringing the hose from your right deco bottle behind your neck and down from your left side as well? and If so, do you find the hoses that come standard with the R195 long enough to wrap around from behind your neck coming from the opposite side ( i.e. right bottle behind neck down left side or vice versa) .... or are you using a longer hose, like an octopus length hose?

Just wondering as I'm ordering some spare parts and considering if I need to order longer hoses to do this as well since I already have the advantage of rerouting the houses from the left or right side on the R195 second stage.

Absolutely, up my right side, around the back of the neck, nothing crossing my chest. Very neat hose routing.
You are correct in saying the standard 22 inch hose that comes with the regulator is way too short.
Depending on how high / close the pony sits you will need at least a 26 inch, maybe even up to a 30 if you are tall.
If you fit a 90 degree elbow at the mouthpiece you can shorten the hose somewhat.
I am 5 ft 4 , I like my ponys sitting in tight. I find if I use the elbow I can utilise a 26 inch hose easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom