Clipping SPG on a d-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Whenever I try to clip my SPG back I always push the waist D ring flat against my body.

Is there some kind of trick to clip it without missing the D ring and pushing it flat against the harness ?

If your BC allows you to remove that D ring, you can replace it with one that is bent.. Then the ring will always be angled slightly away. Or maybe I'm not understanding the question.

Google bent D ring

I actually have my SPG come over my left shoulder and clip it to the left chest d-ring. So much nicer there.

Yep, bent or 90deg D-ring at the left hip works pretty well (I use the latter). DGX has them but I'm sure there's a UK friendly source as well.

You can also hold the D-ring upright as you unclip and clip .i.e. if you open the boltsnap with your thumb, you can locate and hold the D-ring in place with your index finger and vice versa. Takes some practice, especially with thick gloves on.
Honestly, even with the upright D-ring, I still try to do this as it prevents you from "missing" the right spot.

@The Chairman What length is your HP hose for over the shoulder? I'm guessing it's short(er)? I have used under the left arm to the left chest D-ring in warm water as it seems to work with my standard length 24" HP hose that I use when I'm in my drysuit, have stage, etc.

i hook the dring with a finger to keep it up while clipping. you might also like using a magnetic keeper instead of a boltsnap. lots of options but here is one good example that works well. EDGE Magnetic Hose Holder

edit: also its pretty easy to turn a flat d ring into a bent d ring if you have a vice and mallet.

I run it under my arm and attach it to a bent d-ring on my harness at the chest. I rotate the SPG face up upon entry and I never have to touch it or unclip it. I simply glance down to monitor my pressure.

Whenever I try to clip my SPG back I always push the waist D ring flat against my body.

Is there some kind of trick to clip it without missing the D ring and pushing it flat against the harness ?

+1 on the bent D-ring at the left hip, which was original on mine. I use my thumb (not great form, but it works for me) on the bolt snap and locate the D-ring with my forefinger, especially with gloves.

I find it also helps to figure out and have your D-rings where it's easiest for you when actually doing it, whether it's shoulder D-rings or the left hip D-ring. See where your hand naturally falls when going for your spg while diving and if your D-ring is there. I have my left hip D-ring a little more forward on my hip where it's easier for me to clip.

Hope that helps...

https://www.makospearguns.com/D-Ring-for-Rubber-Freedive-Belt-p/mrbdr.htm

MRBDR-2T.jpg

https://www.makospearguns.com/Weight-Keeper-with-D-Ring-p/mwk.htm

MWK-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom