Atomic M1 jam nut size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certainly the threads (UNF 9/16-18 I think) have to be the same size else a standard hose fitting would not screw on to it. I don't think going to a SP splined nut would be a good idea for someone who got rid of his SP wrench. :)

Certainly the threads (UNF 9/16-18 I think) have to be the same size else a standard hose fitting would not screw on to it. I don't think going to a SP splined nut would be a good idea for someone who got rid of his SP wrench. :)

So true, when I had a stable of G250s was trying to find an alternate to the splined nuts, from memory we had a thread running discussing the use of Atomic jam nuts and G250V jam nuts. IIRC the G250V ones were too long and I have a niggling feeling there was an issue with Atomic jam nuts too. I'll try to find the thread.

If I can get some 11-16 nuts I'll be happy as they are the same size as my Apeks, "standardization" and all that.

This thread would win the award for the most nuts used.

Like couv said, the thread size is standard LP hose thread. I happen have these laying around after service. Here is some measurement number for the width:

G250V: 0.479"
IMG_20190519_003145.jpg
M1 new style: 0.515"
IMG_20190519_003432.jpg
M1 old style: 0.515"
IMG_20190519_003550.jpg

B2/regular Atomic: 0.439"
IMG_20190519_003714.jpg

HOG classic: 0.234"
IMG_20190519_004059.jpg

A few observations:
0. I hate proprietary fitting jam nut on G250V that need a dedicated tool to operate.

1. I really think M1 old style is a better heatsink. weight about the same as the new style, but much more surface area.

2. For Atomic, the inlet tube length is the same between B2 and M1. But jam nut vs heatsink width is different. Thing works just file. So it makes me think that there is some margin on the width to play with. For this reason, if I round out my G250v jam nut, I will just give Atomic regular jam nut on it, only 0.04" narrower.

3. I happen to have a HOG laying around. It has a very narrow jam nut. With this width, it won't work on the Atomic 2nd stage. I didn't try it on G250v because I don't want to muscle with that jam nut.

Back
Top Bottom