Happy to always dive advanced within recreational limits, forever ? [Poll]

Advanced diver, do you have any plans to move eventually to "technical" diving ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I already do "technical" dives.

Votes: 90 26.8%
  • Yes, as soon as possible.

Votes: 40 11.9%
  • 50-50 chance.

Votes: 35 10.4%
  • Probably not, but time will tell.

Votes: 82 24.4%
  • No intent whatsoever.

Votes: 78 23.2%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being able to do deco without all the extra acceleration and multiple gases is actually very useful. For one thing it gets you away from being obsessive about NDL.

I think the bundling is customer driven.

Also, why would you do ER rather that a 60m Trimix course?
well we can agree to disagree then. I don't particularly care to hang out on a line for an hour when I can bring a deco gas or 2 and cut it in half.
I never said anything was wrong with doing minor deco on back gas but accelerated deco makes much more sense to me.
I'd rather do ER and learn handling a 4th tank and rigging all 4 ( Im currently doing it SM) and get that learning curve out of the way before i start paying 125-150 for trimix fills regardless of if I can afford it or not.
ER also lets you go to advanced trimix instead of trimix to advanced trimix. not that I care about that but just noting it.
at the end of the day this is a hobby I have no desire to teach or work in this industry. Im strictly just doing it to have fun. I was happy with the course price and the skills Ive gained so far that it was worth it to me Im in no rush to finish all the tech classes.

well we can agree to disagree then. I don't particularly care to hang out on a line for an hour when I can bring a deco gas or 2 and cut it in half.
I never said anything was wrong with doing minor deco on back gas but accelerated deco makes much more sense to me.
I'd rather do ER and learn handling a 4th tank and rigging all 4 ( Im currently doing it SM) and get that learning curve out of the way before i start paying 125-150 for trimix fills regardless of if I can afford it or not.
ER also lets you go to advanced trimix instead of trimix to advanced trimix. not that I care about that but just noting it.
at the end of the day this is a hobby I have no desire to teach or work in this industry. Im strictly just doing it to have fun. I was happy with the course price and the skills Ive gained so far that it was worth it to me Im in no rush to finish all the tech classes.

Just for the record, there is nothing to stop a TDI instructor from teaching use of 2 deco gases during AN/DP. You do not have to take XR or Trimix to be trained on that. Standards require teaching 1, but do not limit the instructor to that.

Consider this...
You've booked a trip to Key Largo. You just can't wait to see the famous Spiegel Grove. Sitting in about 137' of water sits a 510' ship that is just friggin awesome. You've saved all year long. You make the long drive, packed full of dive gear. You've paid your $85 to make the 8 mile trip to the site. You've finally arrived. Oh man, the excitement. You can't wait to see the two enormous Jew Fish or the giant Yellow Fin Tuna that live there. You get kitted up, jump in the water, and then do a 20 minutes of bottom time. Woohoo!

Screw that. LOL

Or, you could just book a double dip and be the first in the water. When the other divers are doing their surface interval, you're still in the water. When the other divers are getting kitted back up to make their second 20 minutes of bottom time, you're still in the water. While everyone is baking on the boat.... you're....still....in.... the.... water! :)

You end up just under 3 hours of diving, instead of 40 minutes.
Last I remember, I have over 37 hours on the Spiegel Grove. I have still probably only seen 40% of it.

Anyway, that might be one little reason for the guys who are on the fence about moving deeper into technical diving.
One of my bucket dives are the wrecks on the BC coastline. Most are around 100' so I'm wanting more bottom time than I'm currently allowed.

Plus...I want Full Cave some day. Some day soon I think. Fell in love last trip to PDC.

The more I learn about tech diving the more it interests me, I’m a recreational diver who just got his rec deep certification and is working on rescue and recreational wreck, I still feel I have a while to go, before I should jump in to tech, mainly because I’m still working on buoyancy in open water, but I’m interested in it because of the safety you give your self with extra skills, and extra gear. Plus I love seeing wrecks underwater.

One word on the skills, I work on a ship, which basically means there are times in which I go months and months without being able to dive or do much of anything for that matter, and whenever I jump in the water again it takes me a while get basic skills like buoyancy and kicking back. Diving in his a deprecating skill and if you are not doing it on a regular basis your recreational skills will diminish, making technical Diving more difficult to master.

. . .
One word on the skills, I work on a ship, which basically means there are times in which I go months and months without being able to dive or do much of anything for that matter, and whenever I jump in the water again it takes me a while get basic skills like buoyancy and kicking back. Diving in his a deprecating skill and if you are not doing it on a regular basis your recreational skills will diminish, making technical Diving more difficult to master.

I can relate to that, though fortunately for me, not to the same extent. I have been doing dives on average about 1.5 times per month for about three years now, trying to master the skills for proceeding with tech training. Others have opined that if I were able to dive more frequently--like three or four times per month--I would have attained the skill level I'm aiming for long ago.

Reactions: KCB

Back
Top Bottom