frog kicking with fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Low amplitude high frequency. I always check behind me.

You can get them cheap on ebay like I do. :)

Low amplitude high frequency. I always check behind me.

You can get them cheap on ebay like I do. :)
Thanks - I still personally think frog kick is a better choice (and more energy efficient kick) for that situation, but whatever works for you is best. On the FF’s, I’m perfectly happy with my current set up and have not yet seen a compelling reason to spend any $ try the Force Fins.

just saying cheap is better than "way too expensive".

Although some people may like the look the FF's stubby little toes, I imagine most people who try FFs are convinced by someone they know or take someone up on the offer to try them. I like them because they're easy to pack, easy to walk in, easy to kick, very comfortable, and offer great maneuverability without the collateral damage a longer fin may inflict.

I have a couple of FF Pro in my fin collection and use them occasionally. They're made for a flutter kick, but I can do a modified frog kick with them where the power stroke is outward rather than toward the center. That would not work in a narrow cave but works in open water over the bottom, where there is plenty of space sideways, but not down.

By the way I tried a pair of FF from the new factory 2-3 years ago and found them not as good as my old FF made in California. I think there was a change in materials. The old FF have more flex and snap, while the new felt more like stiff plastic. Of course my experience is now a little dated so I can't comment on the current FFs.

I have old teal FF pro and new neon yellow FF pro. No difference in feel for me between two, bungee was white vs black, comfort insert was not trimmed vs trimmed (old vs new).

Bob, I never could frog kick dating back to my high school swimming days. I have knock knees and was disqualified the few times I swam the IM race. That persists to this day. Good thing I spend a lot of my time almost motionless filming criitters (and never enter caves) .

I have old teal FF pro and new neon yellow FF pro. No difference in feel for me between two, bungee was white vs black, comfort insert was not trimmed vs trimmed (old vs new).
That's good to hear. Can I ask you when you got the new yellow FF Pro? When I got my new FF (made in the new factory) they only came in black.

I got mine earlier this year in March, direct from factory.

I dove yesterday in Roatan with my FF Tan Deltas
I Did 40% frog kick , flutter just to catch up with the rest , very fast displacement
And a barefoot feeling .
Frog kick felt smooth and at a slower pace , helps me look at the reef with more detail without the feel of heavy bricks on my foot .
Force fins have become an everlasting discussion .
Why not think about a FF rental program ? Perhaps we Will see more action and less talk .

I’ve never seen anyone flutter kicking near the bottom and not kicking up sand as the flutter kick sends water down to the bottom unless it is a really low amplitude kick? I’m curious as to how you do this?

I have no issue with Force Fins and have never tried them.

Sorry with such a LATE response!
Look, I have no dog in the fight, so to speak. Use whatever you want. If you want to buy plastic paddles and a use a 40# spring to hold them to your foot, well, by all means, go for it!

I am a head guide here in Estonia. I have led 100's of dives with people from almost 30 different countries. We tour an underwater prison facility that was flooded post Soviet Union. We dive in buildings with silt and no current flow every day during peak season. In other words, we no likie "silt meisters"!

I have grown so tired of hearing, (after demonstrating all I do with my Force Fins such as do an entire dive WITHOUT any strap holding them to my feet, etc.) "Yeah, but you can't frog kick with them!!"

First of all, who says that you can't? I know that I can, but why bother?
Secondly, so what? WHY DO YOU NEED TO FROG KICK!!?? Frog kicking was invented to make up for the problems common associated with plastic boards spring-loaded on the end of your toes! Frog kicking is NOT natural, unless you are a frog. You have to LEARN to frog kick and it requires training different muscles. WHY BOTHER!?

Force Fins do naturally, what you have to compensate to do with plastic boards. I often demonstrate finning just off the bottom with my fins without kicking up silt. Why? Simple. The same reason that Force Fins STAY on your FEET WITHOUT a strap is the same reason that they don't kick up silt. The direct forward motion (reaction) is created by an equal and opposite action - propulsion (simple physics). The design of the fins sends the water straight back, not down. That is why you don't kick up silt.

Be a man, not a frog! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom