Clipping SPG on a d-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe @BlueTrin can tell us what his/her near-future goals are in the type of diving they want to do. From some of the threads they've started, my guess is that he/she is at least DIR-curious, hence the answers that lead to DIR-compliant methods such as the spg on the left hip D-ring as opposed to chest D-ring placement. Only BlueTrin knows?

Maybe @BlueTrin can tell us what his/her near-future goals are in the type of diving they want to do. From some of the threads they've started, my guess is that he/she is at least DIR-curious, hence the answers that lead to DIR-compliant methods such as the spg on the left hip D-ring as opposed to chest D-ring placement. Only BlueTrin knows?
I will leave it on the left hip, but that’s mostly a personal choice: like you said it’s because I want to try the DIR setup.

I may try to swap the hip d-ring with a bent one out of curiosity.

I will leave it on the left hip, but that’s mostly a personal choice: like you said it’s because I want to try the DIR setup.

I may try to swap the hip d-ring with a bent one out of curiosity.

A bent D-ring will honestly make it a lot easier because it will never go completely flat and it's easy for your finger as a guide.
The Halcyon harness comes with 3 bent D-rings - each shoulder strap plus the left hip D-ring - so it is DIR-compliant. Only the crotch strap comes with an unbent D-ring.

On the other hand, I would be cautious about the D-rings that you've seen on this thread that go straight out or check with an agency to see if they are compliant. The spg on the left chest D-ring is definitely not DIR compliant because that D-ring is allocated for a back-up light and potential stage bottles. The right D-ring is of course allocated for a backup light and the primary reg when stowed.

Yeah, this is a silly reason to do something. 98% of cave divers don't want or need DIR conformity. In fact, many openly mock the idea that one solution works for everybody. I don't rig out my various kits the same way because that would be dumb. What's the point? I'm not going to clip side mount SPGs on my left belt D-Ring. I'm not going to separate my O2 and Dil gauges from their Manual Add Valves on my CCR. I don't try to rig Rosie, my diesel tractor like my zero-turn or Vanessa, my dive van. The gas gauges are (gasp) in different places and the zero turn doesn't even have one! Somehow, I'm smart enough and flexible enough to switch from one to the other with no issues. Humans adapt readily to different situations.

While it's great to get advice from all the years, upon years of experience here on SB, your diving is entirely up to you. Ergo, do what works for you. Don't feel like you have to follow the masses, as sometimes that "M" is silent. I've seen lots of rigs over the years. Some that I am impressed with and others that confuse the crap out of me. I steal ideas and solutions from the ones that impress me and try to take that one step further. Dive and let dive. Don't stop thinking. Don't simply accept the status quo. Improve. Adapt. Overcome. Have fun!!! :D :D :D
Every new diver should read the above as well as the thread itself to understand early on that there is more than one way of doing things. Be it in diving or in life in general.

AJ:
Use your forefinger to guide/block the ring. This won't work, as you're pushing the ring away.
Well, I think it can be seen on that gif that it is working. Besides, I have intentionally exaggerated that clipping to show that even if you push d-ring all the way, it still can not go flat against you, since bolt snap is in the way. My d-rings are quite tight, so will not fold easily, and can be felt even with 5 mm gloves with ease. I don't like big bolt snaps and try with as small as I can go with. If I use forefinger, I would need to use bigger bolt snap, since this small one could easily slip under 5 mill gloves.
But, everyone uses whatever suites them. I can live with that quite happily.

Well, I think it can be seen on that gif that it is working. Besides, I have intentionally exaggerated that clipping to show that even if you push d-ring all the way, it still can not go flat against you, since bolt snap is in the way. My d-rings are quite tight, so will not fold easily, and can be felt even with 5 mm gloves with ease. I don't like big bolt snaps and try with as small as I can go with. If I use forefinger, I would need to use bigger bolt snap, since this small one could easily slip under 5 mill gloves.
But, everyone uses whatever suites them. I can live with that quite happily.
I think my mistake was that I didn’t try to follow the webbing: instead of aiming for the ring, I was sliding the bolt snap hoping to hook the ring. Also I am still not used to the location of the d-ring.

I have practiced while watching TV after watching the small video, it is much easier if you follow the webbing to make sure that the bolt snap goes inside the ring like shown in the video.

You mean I have actually helped you? Well, that's a first! It calls for a celebratory booze. :drunks:
Alternative solution would be to clip a stage bottle, that way you can be sure that ring will never go flat.:poke:

You mean I have actually helped you? Well, that's a first! It calls for a celebratory booze. :drunks:
Alternative solution would be to clip a stage bottle, that way you can be sure that ring will never go flat.:poke:
Well actually I do this for my shoulder rings. I put two backup lights clipped and then into the rubber bands so that they stay against the harness. It prevents them from going flat and the lights don’t dangle.

I know you are being sarcastic when you tell me to attach bottles just to keep the ring out :)

...Also I am still not used to the location of the d-ring...

Remember that you can move the left hip D-ring to wherever is the most comfortable for you. I moved mine more forward where my hand more naturally went and it became easier.

I should mention that I've noticed that some GUE Instructors/Tech 2/Cave 2 divers with the same rig as mine have much thinner D-rings. I don't know if theirs came like that or if they swapped them out, but thinner D-rings would be much easier, especially with thick gloves, if you are buying any D-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom