Running the boat over my head after back roll.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, your optimal weight was some 16-ish pounds (8-ish kg), but you had serious issues with some 4 pounds (2kg) more? Given your stated experience, I'm a bit surprised that 2kg more than your optimal weighting would be a problem.

For me, 2kg is more or less is what I experiment with when adding another middle layer to my undergarments.
Read his post again - his issues were more around the disconnected inflator hose. That coupled with the 4 lb overweight will make one sink quickly as you have no way to compensate - means you have to fin up as he stated! What is there to be surprised about here?

Reactions: Dan
So, your optimal weight was some 16-ish pounds (8-ish kg), but you had serious issues with some 4 pounds (2kg) more? Given your stated experience, I'm a bit surprised that 2kg more than your optimal weighting would be a problem.

For me, 2kg is more or less is what I experiment with when adding another middle layer to my undergarments.

No problem. I just don't want to waste air (more weight consumes more air). That air may be needed during emergency. With 16 lb dive weight, I'll still be neutrally buoyant with no air in BCD, 500 psig left in the tank at 15' depth during safety stop.

I am so relieved to hear that the OP will be okay and can’t imagine what a scary thing that was. I would be so angry and a lot less nice than the OP if it were me.

I have about 250 dives where I’ve used backroll as an entry method, primarily on liveaboards. In all cases, they were all positive entry unless otherwise noted by the guide/DM before hand and that was usually because there was current or we needed to make a split point to ensure we could approach and hit the dive site correctly. The dinghies are always in neutral when we go and it is usually the dinghy driver who gives the signal to the guide that he is ready and in neutral. The guide then counts down to us splashing. Upon entry into the water, the guide checks to make sure everyone is okay and accounted for at the surface. Often times, after that, the dinghy driver is passing down cameras and also checking to see if anyone is having issues on all sides of the boat. Once we signal OK and start to go down, the dinghy driver then puts the boat in direct reverse very slowly and backs up in a straight line, never forward, while swiveling his head and checking to ensure all divers are to the left and right or forward of the boat. They usually wait a while before taking off or moving rapidly to ensure someone doesn’t pop back up and to also ensure that everyone is clear and at depth. They then either stay at the dive site or follow along or return to the boat, depending on the logistics and number of dinghies being used.

...standard procedure for diving is air in bcd before backroll and before giant step...

I was quite stunned by that post too, here in NZ every operator I've boat-dived with likes to see us bob up and indicate we're okay, and we usually surface swim around the boat from both sides to the mooring line and make sure everyone is ready to descend before we drop down as a group, cos our viz is pretty cr4p... I can't imagine how a prop would get me though, I barely sink below the surface, I'm side-on to the boat, upright in a couple of seconds.

The dump-air-jump-in-sink idea obviously has its place, but to say it's safer to sink like a stone without anyone knowing if it was intentional or not sounds scary to me - I've seen a few threads on here about people who've rolled in and sank unintentionally. The argument that the rest of your group are already down there and can see you sink past them doesn't work for the first guy, or the second if on opposite sides of the boat in poor viz. Or the third and fourth if it's bad enough.

When I did hot drops in Hawaii, it was done with the prop running but backing down, so the divers streamed forward of the boat.

I’m fairly sure the SEALS do leave their boat with goody bags. Filled with ‘presents’, or camera gear, or dry bags with radios, and weapons. Not much point in getting in the water otherwise....

The DM never came to see me in the hospital, he never sent me an sms, he never wondered if i am alive or not. The dive shop owner left me without the salary and threatened that i will never find a job in diving business if i speak about this. She told everyone it was a small bump on the head.
Shocking.

Report it!

A little bit of googling shows the owner to be Eveline Verdier. As a PADI Pro (CD) she is obliged to send in an accident report to PADI since it's divecenter-related. If the DM is active and in teaching status, he is obliged to do the same.
A "small bump on the head"? The attached picture shows something completely different. This should not go unnoticed but should be investigated.
Personally, I think the boatdriver is responsible for stopping the propellor once a diver goes into the water. If the propellor cannot be stopped for whatever reason, prohibit divers from entering the water.

Seems to me that the the boatdriver/divemaster did the best job he could to kill the instructor by restarting the engine and run it over the female instructor Jenny Vanarri that he had issues with, after having shut off the engine and telling the instructor to go in. Attempted murder, or just battery with grevious bodily harm? The shop owner Eveline Verdier, originally from Switzerland's actions afterwards were, to put it mildly, dishonorable, and dishonest.
What worries me now is that the injured party, Jenny Vanarri, hasn't been on ScubaBoard since 14 May at 10:38AM. Is she still alive or has Ms Verdier somehow managed to dispose of her before she can cause great financial harm to Ms Verdier's operation? Can anybody on Granada check on her and find out if she is still alive and kicking?

Michael

I've been trying this angle too.

If a diver is back rolling off a boat and needs to return to the surface right away to give an ok signal or to retrieve a piece of gear that is to be handed off from the boat, this does NOT require that the entry be made with a lot of air in the bc.

Once a diver enters, regains orientation, and kicks down and away for a few moments, they should be able to look up and (if the visibility is decent) see the surface and then safely ascend 5 or 10 feet and get their “prize”. Going in neutral or a little negative does not mean the diver is out of control or sinking rapidly.

I personally get dizzy very easily and I hated back rolls for a long time, primarily because of the ensuing disorientation which lasted for a few moments. It took many dozens of entries before it became routine and I no longer have any disorientation.

My point here is that for new divers, a back roll can be pretty weird and it is EASY to screw up and roll and the spin the wrong way and end up under the boat, especially if there is a cross wind blowing the boat over you and you enter the water in a very positive condition.

Back
Top Bottom