The problem of understocked dive shops.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe time to think “dry”. When those of us who are not “standard” size want something the Internet has been a savior, there are no stores that I can walk into, for many miles, and buy shoes, I don’t but them very often so I wouldn’t expect anyone to stock them.

A drysuit will last longer, on average than a wetsuit and is just a better overall choice here in the NoeCal waters, even if all the extra stuff is a pain in the ass the diving is much more enjoyable especially if you want to dive over 30/40 minutes.

Maybe time to think “dry”. When those of us who are not “standard” size want something the Internet has been a savior, there are no stores that I can walk into, for many miles, and buy shoes, I don’t but them very often so I wouldn’t expect anyone to stock them.

A drysuit will last longer, on average than a wetsuit and is just a better overall choice here in the NoeCal waters, even if all the extra stuff is a pain in the ass the diving is much more enjoyable especially if you want to dive over 30/40 minutes.
I went that route many years ago. My drysuit wasn't one of those bag style, it was a 7mm commercial style suit that I got from a dive shop up in Seattle and the lady on the phone was named Phyllis.
Anyway, that suit lasted me many years until the zipper went out. I found out it was going to cost about $600 (then) to fix it so I went the custom wetsuit route instead. There were things about the drysuits and drysuit diving in general that I really didn’t like. Sweating profusely was one of them and I ended up wetter and colder than if I actually just dived wet. I can tolerate cold pretty well and shine on any discomforts there might with cold. The pluses of wetsuit diving outweight the minuses for me so I stick with it.
I was a freediver before and all that is wetsuit diving of course so I was already used to it. I like the simplicity and streamlining of wetsuits.

The other thing we do is a lot of kayak diving, and drysuits are a real pain in the ass if you want to paddle any distance to a dive spot...ask me how I know... I would NEVER be caught dead in a million years out in the ocean on a kayak with an unzipped drysuit. With wetsuits I can pull down (or off) the top and stay cool during paddling and hanging out.

Beavertail scuba wetsuit, something that is a bit of a unicorn to start with (outside the vintage market).
Yea, you won't find that on the peg at most dive shops (like 99.9% of then). Ruling out freedive suits, which would be 99.9% of the market for new beavertails, really limits you.

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw "new" beavertails for sale at any dive shop. The 90's? Early 90s.

What you are looking for is more than just a shop not wanting to carry inventory that they will never turnover even on the yearly sidewalk sale. It is wanting a shop to carry a product that doesn't exist in the regular market. It is specialty upon specialty.

Even if you were to walk the isles of DEMA you would be hard pressed to find any options.

Eric

I am skeptical that there is much difference between "freediving" neoprene and "scuba" neoprene. I have been scuba diving in freediving suits for a couple of years now. Former SB personality DumpsterDiver turned me on to them and I haven't looked back.

I note that freedivestore.com and makospearguns.com have extensive inventories of high-quality 2-piece beavertail wetsuits at competitive prices and with generous return policies.

On inventory in LDSs, I share your pain and have moved on and accepted that most of my gear purchases will be from LeisurePro and DGX. I make my own air and perform my own service.

With wetsuits I can pull down (or off) the top and stay cool during paddling and hanging out.
As the eskimo starting a fire in his kayak learned: You can't have a kayak and heat it too. :D :D :D

I totally hear you. A lot of people find themselves in your situation including myself. The first option that I have tried is to order three different suits from leisure pro and then return the two that don’t fit. You can order as much a stock to try out but it will go on your credit / debit card. Secondly shipping back a whole bunch of suits is also an inconvenience. Still if I order suits from these guys, I’ll never ever order a single one and bet that it will fit the first time.

Second option is to go to an LDS and give them your measurements. Let them handle all that I describe above for you. It may cost a little more but the service that you get will be superior.

Last option is always to order a custom made suit, let it go back and forth for customization but in the end it will be a custom suit.

Last option is always to order a custom made suit, let it go back and forth for customization but in the end it will be a custom suit.

After talking to several owners of custom suits and having one made myself, a well fit custom is the way to go if you don't fit off the rack suits. But it gets expensive, with seals, reinforcements, and other custom improvements you can really add up the dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom