Coz versus live aboard.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are planning a dive trip for October. We’ve been to Coz before, love it. But am wondering how a Blackbeard live aboard would compare for the quality of diving. Although I understand about Blackbeard’s being no frills, I’m also wondering about being able to sleep if we go that way Are people going to be up late having s loud party?

My live-aboard experience is pretty limited (one trip, out of San Pedro,Belize, years ago, to the Blue Hole and other spots). We really enjoyed the trip, and the whole social scene on the boat, but if things don;t go as well, you're REAL stuck. You could have some jerks as fellow passengers, the boat could have any number of mechanical problems, the food might not agree with you, the tank filling system could have problems, etc.etc.etc.
On an island, you can still get lots of diving in, but you have lots of freedom, that you don't have on a boat. If one of you gets sick, a rocking boat isn't going to help, neither are the cramped quarters and bathrooms. It can be nice to skip a day and go walking around the waterfront or the plaza, do some shopping, try some new restaurants, etc.
If the weather gets nasty, it can be nice to have a (relatively) big hotel room, a TV, and a lobby bar, etc.
IMO, the only real upside to a live-aboard is the ability to easily do 6 tanks a day, and even back when i was rabidly obsessed with diving, I never wanted to do that, LOL!!
I'd opt for the island.

I've been to Coz., and I've done some live-aboards. Haven't done Blackbeard's, but due to enticing cost, I keep it in mind...and links to some trip reports and discussions to refresh myself on the topic should I need to. Perhaps they can help you:

JlcNuke’s 2017 My Blackbeard's Cruise Report - My Blackbeard's Cruise Report Includes some need-to-know discussion about bathing and bathroom concerns.

T.C.’s Report on Blackbeards May 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/484271-trip-report-blackbeard-s-cruises-24-30-may.html

Kimbalabala’s Blackbeards review 2013 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wo...-liveaboard.html?highlight=Blackbeards+review

Craig66’s Question thread about Blackbeards - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...stion-about-dives-blackbeards-liveaboard.html

What I've read of Blackbeard's made me think the extra cost to use the Juliet or Bahamas Aggressor might well be worth it.

Oh, last I checked Blackbeard's only offered around 19 dives for the week, not the 5/day some live-aboards do, nitrox wasn't an option, there was not a boat-supplied guide on most dives and the quarters/privacy situation bore some study.

I'm not knocking Blackbeard's; I think the # of dives, food, lodging and overall experience I read of at that price point is amazing, and they've held the line on price impressively well over time. It sounds like a great deal; is it the deal you guys want? I'm just saying think it through.

If you want to dive, dive, dive... liveaboard. If you enjoy your time topside or dont feel like diving all day, every day, Cozumel.

I have never done blackbeard, but I love my liveaboards. That said, I also like having my afternoons on Cozumel to lounge in the ocean and sit on the beach.

What is more important to you on THIS trip would be the question.

I've taken two Blackbeard trips and dove Cozumel probably five times. As far as the diving, I enjoy healthy coral and a lot of marine life. Lots of that is to be had at Cozumel. I found a lot of algae on the corals in the Bahamas. However, if you like reef sharks, the Bahamas is probably the way to go.

Sleeping situations on the Blackbeard cruise = at least two bunks per "room" in the forward area and I think six double bunks in the main area which also is the dining area and has the kitchen attached. Not much privacy at all.

.. Are people going to be up late having s loud party?
No..........Because people on the boat are there to dive, dive, dive and they want to log as many dives as they possibly can. Yes you'll sleep, but you will also be up and awake at the 1st hint of light each morning.

I did a Blackbeard's Cruise about 14 years ago, when they were still leaving out of Miami. I've done many trips to Cozumel. The diving is different. The experience is vastly different.

When/If you read the words, "...like camping at sea..." in any of the links drrich provided, believe them. The quarters are very tight. The fresh water is very limited. In about the middle of the week, we stopped at Bimini in the afternoon and stayed until the very early hours of the morning. The dock had some facilities which included showers. Best shower I ever had in my life.

The food was good, nothing fancy, and there was plenty to eat. I found the diving very interesting. Several or more wrecks, most of them real. They did a shark dive. It was interesting, but I'm not a real fan of "shark dives". The topography was varied, which is what I found interesting.

We had some weather when we made the crossing to Bimini, and 2.5 hours of squall when we left Bimini for Miami. It was an adventure.

The ships are 65 foot powered sailing vessels. We did a few hours of actual sailing, but the rest was under power. Pack very light.

I've never done a "name brand" live-aboard, but my guess is that the word "live-aboard" is the bulk of what a Blackbeard's Cruise and, for instance, an Explorer or Aggressor have in common. I'm not knocking Blackbeard's either. I don't regret my trip for a moment. It's more of an adventure than a pampered live aboard dive vacation. I think the pricing was/is appropriate.

We were still under way when the weather we started out with had passed. It got very calm. I was the only person awake, other than the captain, and on deck in the middle of the night. I'd been in a boat on the ocean 8 times in my life at that point, if I include 2 cruise trips. The next thing I knew I was steering the vessel using a compass, all alone on that deck while the captain did something below for about 20 minutes. I will never, ever forget that.

@nodakdive I feel like I was on the same boat as you, lol. My experience mimics yours with the exception of the last paragraph. I did not get to steer the vessel. And I laughed at the best shower of your life. So true!

I was certified on Blackbeard’s 14 years ago. Since then we’ve done many trips to Cozumel and about 10 others live aboards with other companies. I could never go back to Blackbeard’s. It was all fun, new and exciting as a new diver so I thoroughly enjoyed the trip after I got over my initial sea sickness from the rough crossing from Miami (back then).

The good:
The sites were varied and we got a mix of different topographies.
The food on my trip was surprisingly exceptional.
I was a new diver so all dives were exciting.

The not so good:
Tiny cramped beds with a pull curtain for privacy and shared cabins. You will most likely be sharing a cabin or the galley sleeping area with people you don’t know. Our cabin was 2 people on top bunk and 2 on bottom. Luckily our instructors shared our cabin.

“A” narrow shelf at the end of your bunk to store your clothes on. Pack minimal and I mean very minimal clothing.

A tiny shower in the galley area that all people share unless you shower on deck. You shower with salt water and only get 30 seconds of fresh water to rinse with.

The galley isn’t big enough for everyone to eat at the same time so some have to go up on deck...if the boat is full that week.

If your bunk is in the galley then you will hear all the clutter of breakfast being prepared and people coming in for breakfast and possibly chatter from those who like to stay up late.

The head next to our cabin was backed up most of the week so we had a not so pleasant odor to deal with all week.

No where to go to be by yourself. You can always find somewhere on other live aboards to have some quiet time.

I did one Blackbeards back when it went out of Florida. Much too crowded for me, but if you stay in hostels when you go to Cozumel, you may be ok with it. Meals were much too crowded.
but if things don;t go as well, you're REAL stuck.
Very. I had a flu relapse after a couple of days. The captains checked on me once to be sure it wasn't bends, then I was on my own - stuck on a crowded boat for days. I got better, but not well enough to dive safely I didn't think.

One of the captains had a girlfriend sleeping in the galley very close to the meal table. One day she had a horrible menstrual attack (so I was told), so much loud moaning and groaning.

In October, which is hurricane season, I'd rather be on land perhaps near an airport.

And that said, one of the best times I've ever had on a dive trip was to Coz as Hurricane Mitch approached. We didn't get to do much diving due to port closure but we were foolish enough to stay when most every other tourist left the Yucatan et al. Tens of thousands of folks trying for flights out of Cancun and Cozumel (so we were told).

Yes, we had an absolute blast but since Hurricane Catherine, I've often wondered if I would stick it out ever again.

Yes, we had lots of "weather" and then the hurricane turned left and killed around 11,000 people in Central America.

2 years later, I went to Belize 2 months after Hurricane Keith. The east shore and Front Street in San Pedro didn't look to bad but a trip to the back streets and lagoon side showed quite the different story. As for stories, my friends told me of what they'd gone through at the time. I'm really glad that I hadn't been visiting at the time.

No matter what you decide, do get travel insurance that covers you in event of hurricane/tropical storm.

Back
Top Bottom