No More Plastic Grocery Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't take me long to start carrying my own.
The one solution you can trust.

OK, so it's a fail because no one can figure out where to put a big water bottle. Where is the mask bucket kept? Camera tank?
Have you ever dived Cozumel? Mostly small boats. I don't think many carry mask buckets or camera tanks, and I wouldn't use them if they did. I don't want my snotty mask soaking with others' snotty masks - as hygienic as deep kissing ever diver on the boat, and I don't trust others with camera buckets. Sometimes I ask for a bottle of water, not chilled, to rinse off both - or not. Usually I just wrap the camera in a wet beanie or cloth.

Where do divers stow the gear that they bring aboard? (Dry bags, gear bags, mesh bags, etc)
Under benches mostly. If they have too much (stop staring at me), the crew may shuffle bags at times.

I've been on smaller boats that still managed to find a way to supply water to their divers without using individual bottles.

Like you, I don't use the snot bucket either.

Water, in single use bottles, is more expensive than gasoline. It's obscene, and I won't buy them anywhere. I always take a Teva Cup when I travel with my SB name on it. I have been on boats that had a few containers of water kept in the bow or under the benches. You pulled it out to pour your water and put it back. No need to have them fixed in a certain place.

Water, in single use bottles, is more expensive than gasoline. It's obscene, and I won't buy them anywhere. I always take a Teva Cup when I travel with my SB name on it. I have been on boats that had a few containers of water kept in the bow or under the benches. You pulled it out to pour your water and put it back. No need to have them fixed in a certain place.

Exactly, or the even bigger ones with the push pump dispense system.

As a caveat, I live in Cave Country in Florida and my well produces water that is on par with anything you'll find in a bottle.

I've been on smaller boats that still managed to find a way to supply water to their divers without using individual bottles.

The "best way" we have so far is to have some 5l marked water bottles in a cooler near the back of the boat (where we used to keep the cooler of single use) we decant the water into the containers supplied by the divers themselves and refill the bottles from our big water back at the shop - at least they get cold water that way

We no longer supply single use.

And we use small 10m (30') twin outboard boats

If people want to wash their masks, well they're surrounded by water called the sea:)

Anyone addicted to cola’s? All my Caribbean dive trips I save my empty soda bottles, starting with the local airport, another in Atlanta. That gives Eric and I each a bottle to label and refill on the boats. And of course I collect a couple more each day. Where we have a fridge with freezer the bottles are filled with water and frozen for use the next day.

I have to agree with Chilly. I dive “smaller boats” in Coz that have the community cooler strapped beside the wheel. Sure, its a hassle for the crew to lug the water jugs to the boat to fill the cooler but logistically it is possible.

If people want to wash their masks, well they're surrounded by water called the sea
Yep, but do it when the boat is still. It scares me when people do it while it's moving.

That gives Eric and I each a bottle to label and refill on the boats. And of course I collect a couple more each day. Where we have a fridge with freezer the bottles are filled with water and frozen for use the next day.
Have you considered pint sized vacuum bottles? I like these with screw on cups and push in tops, but there are better prices: Thermos Compact Stainless Steel Bottle, 16 oz., Stainless Steel/Black FBB500SS4 | Zoro.com

I gave my kids & grandkids quart & pint sized bottles. Also handy for cold water on hikes.

Water, in single use bottles, is more expensive than gasoline. It's obscene, and I won't buy them anywhere.
Nope, with the exception of summertime funerals. Then I'll take a few to share as indicated. Most don't think about such at those times. I tried keeping extra in the fridge, but they evaporate, then people look at your funny when you offer deformed bottles.

I will buy gallon jugs at times. I keep a dozen stored at home for boil water notices, then recently offered to share on the town FB site when we had one, but I guess the stores had enough for the town's needs. I buy gallon jugs for camping trips with the kids, keep a couple iced for filling vacuum bottles along with apple juice jugs, non-iced for making coffee. In my effort to reduce campsite dish washing, I'll supply 7 & 12 oz paper cups. At least they are organic trash, even tho Texas parks aren't much into recycling and composting yet. I usually take my recyclables home. Metal forks & spoons are easy enough to wash, and of course I always have my paper straws in the PVC carrier that looks scary on airport x-rays.

Thank you all! You’ve given me some great ideas and possible solutions - some we’ve tried and some we haven’t yet tried. I’ll be exploring and trying some new options!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hey @DandyDon

We have those as well as these (see pic) but have found that “recycling” the plastic soda bottles just so much easier for us.

Attachments

• 07478FBA-6F59-4626-B8A9-8A45FC98B8EA.jpeg
    07478FBA-6F59-4626-B8A9-8A45FC98B8EA.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 102
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom