DAN insurance coverage for non diving activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am about to get DAN insurance for an upcoming trip. two of the four of us will be diving and I will be buying the Guardian plan. The other two will be participating in other water sports, swimming, pool and ocean, and snorkeling. I seem to recall a discussion on here that DAN insurance covers non diving related water sports injuries, so I thought it would be a good idea to get the Master plan for them. I seem to be having an issue finding that thread or any fine print on DAN that shows that anything other than Diving is covered except a line for the higher plans for non dive related injuries. Does anyone have DAN's definition of what is considered "Medical Dive Accident Coverage" and whether that includes other water-sports?

I believe it doesn’t and would get separate coverage. Dan is for divers and shouldn’t be used for non dive related issues on the standard plan as far as I am aware.

I’m not 100% sure though, but I’m not sure why you would even consider getting them DAN insurance if they aren’t planning on diving, why wouldn’t you just get a separate plan?

I believe it doesn’t and would get separate coverage. Dan is for divers and shouldn’t be used for non dive related issues on the standard plan as far as I am aware.

I’m not 100% sure though, but I’m not sure why you would even consider getting them DAN insurance if they aren’t planning on diving, why wouldn’t you just get a separate plan?
My thought is they are mostly going to be doing watersport activities while we dive. That would me the most likely place to have an accident, so if it covers that then DAN would seem a decent choice, particularly since they are so well regarded when you really need them. You cant say that about most insurance.

I just checked and the Guardian plan for Georgia (I’m assuming that’s where you’re resident), does cover “named water sports”, which is defined in the handbook. Master plan does not.

DAN | insurance: dive

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/scuba-dive-insurance/handbook-g.pdf

However, I agree about why get DAN if not diving. The majority of the coverage is for diving related incidents. They might be better off getting other insurance, but you’ll have to research pricing and coverage to know for sure.

I just renewed mine and I know it says that is covers other water sports and lists what it does cover but I get the most expensive one, not sure about the other two.

You are best off buying dive accident for DAN for dive purposes and travel insurance for travel purposes which also can come with medical coverage for non-diving activities. The non-diving coverage amount on DAN Guardian is $20K per occurrence which is hardly anything at all if you had a medical non-diving issue.

Alternatively, you can also just buy travel medical insurance. Or, in my case, I buy all 3 because I find the medical amount for my travel policy is insufficient for a major issue. I supplement my travel insurance policy with a $1M $0 deductible for not very much for international travel. It even includes dental! If there are any or multiple surgeries needed or a medical evac to another country, etc., this should be enough. My private medical insurance at home in California has some language that I don't like for international coverage. They will reimburse for emergencies and medically necessary in or out of network care but what they define as an emergency or a time sensitive case is very grey and unclear, even in their fine print. It leaves a lot of space for them to backpedal if I really need coverage.

If you will be doing some diving for your travels, Dive Assure is a great travel insurance provider and Geo Blue Travelever health insurance is great travel health insurance. Otherwise, I would look at Allianz and AIG and others for traveler insurance.

FYI DAN offers travel insurance plans separate from their Dive insurance

Back
Top Bottom