Shark leaves scratches on dome port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Premo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While diving off Cat Island, Bahamas one oceanic whitetip shark rubbed its nose against my dome port. Now it has scratches. They are not deep and it is an acrylic dome. What do you recommend to repair it? I don't want to make it worse.

here is the clip if anyone is interested how it happened.

Novus is only so useful for deeper or longer scratches. I usually need to sand out nicks and scratches from my acrylic dome port once a year. I use the novus to finish up and remove the ultra fine scratches remaining.

Micro Mesh Dome Port Restoring Kit

Geez, you're lucky that's all that got scratched.

And now I've learned something as well. I had no idea that there were any Oceanic White Tips in the Caribbean.

And now I've learned something as well. I had no idea that there were any Oceanic White Tips in the Caribbean.

Most of the time the oceanic whitetips were well behaved but you had to keep your head on a swivel

Unfortunately because of their extremely large dorsals their population is down about 99%. White tips are Pelagic fish so they can be found anywhere.

They used to be everywhere before the population got devastated.

Yes unfortunately it is rare to see them. I'm only aware of Cat Island were you can reliably see them and at certain times in the red sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom